Editing and reversing old drawings, parametric constraint issues

I?ve been a VW user for over 5 years, and have had very few production issues until upgrading to VW 2010 over a year ago. The nature of my work involves heavy editing of my 2D floor plans, many created on VW 12. In the past, I?ve been able to easily flip plans and move objects with ease. Now?.not so much. I?ve read other posters with similar issues, but on some files, nothing I do seems to resolve the ?constraint? issues. Even after removing all dimensions, sometimes walls still refuse to budge. I continue to get the message to the effect of ?editing cannot be performed because this object is constrained?. I?ll then go to Modify>edit constraints, sometimes ?edit constraints? is grayed, sometimes I?m told ?this object has no parametric constraints?, OR even when I am able to delete one or more constraints, I still am unable to move the wall.

So?.. I?ve essentially lost all my dimensioning (associative or not) and can?t move walls either. In essence, I've been carrying on as I did with VW 12.5, which clearly isn't working. Please tell me I?m an idiot and have missed the secret handshake in the upgrade to VW 2010. Thanks, Amy

Edited by Amy L

Thanks, Wes. Attached is simple 2D file created on my old G5 with VW 12.5 and saved to VW 21010. I?ve tried to replicate the problem with a new test drawing on my PowerBook, which still has VW 12.5.3, and can?t. (Everything works OK after saving the test file to my iMac and VW2010.) The attachment, however, like several other fully annotated floor plans I have, seems to create editing problems upon conversion. For some reason, reversing this plan and then moving walls (and doors, etc.) eludes me.

attachment:

files.me.com/amymartinhomedesigns/o46kh6

I'd like to mention that when working within a new VW2010 file, life was good until pasting grouped sections of walls/objects/dimensions from a previous drawing. As soon as I introduced pieces of an old plan into my pristine drawing file, the new walls become immovable. I am at a very preliminary stage of designing a large house, so there has been very little dimensioning. I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but have no clue as to what.

Note: the introduced walls/ objects also came from a VW2010 drawing, but may have initially been created in 12.5.3 and converted. I just don't remember.

Please, if anyone has insight into this, I'd welcome a lifeline. I'm dyin' here.

Edited by Amy L

Out of curiosity Amy, have you tried downloading the v2011 demo to see if the problem still exists? I fear you may not have any luck getting Nemetschek to fix it if it is a bug in v2010.

http://www.nemetschek.net/eval/

Edit:

I fear you may not have any luck ...

Does anyone even speak like that these days? Honestly, some of the things I write...

Edited by Christiaan

Thanks Christian,

I just bought VW 2010 in April, and am just now really testing it due to the economic slowdown in construction. I sense my problems stem from GROUPING large sets of items and then trying to manipulate walls after pasting, ungrouping, moving, or flipping. Doors and openings won't move within the walls, nor can individual walls be capped. They're pretty much frozen in place unless I nudge them out of position. As of now, redrawing is the only alternative, other than working off a laptop which with 12.5.3 still on it. It's worth mentioning that ALL layers with walls within a pristine VW2010 document are effected once the drawing becomes infected by this bug or whatever it is. I'm traveling this week, but will take your advice when I get back to my workstation. ' Appreciate your response:-) Amy

Edited by Amy L