Wall Framer

JohnS

I am trying to get the wall framer to do a framing package, and it keeps saying that the class selected doesn't have anything to frame. I checked the wall style to see if I am selecting the components class and I am.

So I have selected the correct class according to the wall style. but the framing script says there is nothing in that class to create framing with.

Any and all help is appreciated.

John

• Like 1

I just tried it here and it works fine. Try opening a new file and draw one wall. That way you can experiment and not mess up anything important. Here is step-by-step:

1) In a new file, draw a wall. Make it 8ft tall and however long you want. Leave it in the "None" class.

2) With wall selected, go to AEC, Wall Framer command.

3) Enter "Model Name" ( I used "Model 1") as desired and click "Create".

4) In the next dialog, make sure 3d model is selected (and Worksheets if desired) and click on "Options".

5) In the Wall Class dialog, click on "New" and then choose "None" as the class. Set all of the parameters you want (spacing, blocking, etc.) then click OK, then click OK again.

You should end up with two (or more) worksheets and a 3d model of the framing (go to a 3d view to see the model).

Hope that helps....

Yes that works. But the problem I am having is when I go to select a class I hit new and there is a long list of classes to choose from. I keeping selecting different class, but keeping told that there is nothing in the class to frame.

so far, I have chosen the wall class, and the component class and still no love. Arggg there is a long list of classes to chose from and I don't have the time to systematicaly go through each class to find the one it likes. Any suggestions?

Be aware that for you as a design/build firm, disappointment lurks if you expect the wall framer or the floor framer to frame as you would expect or otherwise might do in real life. I am admittedly still on VW2009 and have given up on the wall framer.

Peter knows his stuff and can best assist you here.

I am not looking for how to frame but as a tool to assist in takeoffs. I realize that we will have modify these numbers, but hopefully it can get us closer quicker than what we are doing now. We'll do a cross check with our traditional method to see how much of a discrepancy there is.

That said, its only if we can make the wall framer work. The class selection is the hang up, and am not what to do. All the intuitive classes aren't working.

Edited by jsibert1

I have never used the Wall Framer tool, but wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the wall framer tool to center itself on the wall component that is marked as 'Core'?

That would be the logical way for the tool to function, but I'm sure that the reason it doesn't is because this tool hasn't been updated since walls gained the ability to have components.

Regards,

Tim

Having the wall framer center on either the 'core' component of the wall by default or being able to select the component class within the wall to center on, would make this tool much more useful, and more accurate.

Still might be alright for getting a general take off.

It also would be nice if you had more control of the classes created, how corners are framed and where layout started from. Seems like the roof framer has a bit more control.

John, it is working for me in VW2011, I would double-check that your walls are in the correct class, and that you are selecting the proper layer for the tool to work from.

• 6 years later...

@Markvl- did you follow Peter Cipe's directions quoted below? I just did it on a blank test file and it worked fine for me.

On 10/1/2010 at 9:00 AM, CipesDesign said:

I just tried it here and it works fine. Try opening a new file and draw one wall. That way you can experiment and not mess up anything important. Here is step-by-step:

1) In a new file, draw a wall. Make it 8ft tall and however long you want. Leave it in the "None" class.

2) With wall selected, go to AEC, Wall Framer command.

3) Enter "Model Name" ( I used "Model 1") as desired and click "Create".

4) In the next dialog, make sure 3d model is selected (and Worksheets if desired) and click on "Options".

5) In the Wall Class dialog, click on "New" and then choose "None" as the class. Set all of the parameters you want (spacing, blocking, etc.) then click OK, then click OK again.

You should end up with two (or more) worksheets and a 3d model of the framing (go to a 3d view to see the model).

Hope that helps....

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 12.20.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-12-16 at 12.21.14 PM.jpg