iPad app

Yoginathaswami

Question

10 answers to this question

I think you need to define what you want the iPad app to do...now you've had an iPad for a couple of months (me too).

I thought i'd use the iPad at work, but I don't....it's just my 'sofa computer'...and unbeatable for that..I hardly ever fire up my home iMac any more.

Productivity isn't the iPad's strong point though. Even iWork for iOS, which looks great at first, is a pain to use to actually get anything done. Maybe some of this is the perils of early adoption...iPad 2 will be more powerful (please..more RAM...woefully short in practice), and we'll soon get multitasking, which is one of the barriers to any sort of productivity at the moment.

I know for sure I wouldn't use a full blown CAD package on a 10 inch touch screen, and I won't use pen input on the iPad until it has a digitizer...the current capacitive styluses are too clumsy. So what sort of VW app do we want?

VW Viewer would be handy...better than viewing PDFs if you can change view/zoom/class/layers etc. Handy for spinning a 3D model around in front of a client too?

VW Site Survey app? I'd rather use the iPad with a basic version of the VW tools....2D walls, windows, doors...than take a laptop with full blown VW to site when I want to do a quick survey of an existing building.

What else were you thinking?

Edited by Chris D

I would like it as a basic field drafting tool, for me take site measures and scribble sketches then import them into VW as a native file where I could trace or manipulate the data direct. No more scans, or transferring measurements from paper. I am sure there are many other possibilities. So yes lets list the wants.

Ohhh! I would like to be on site for tree inventory with the new Existing Tree Tool. That would be nice also.

Of course, what NV Inc need to know, is what would we be prepared to pay for such an app.

Autodesk can afford to give away an iPad app as an up-sell for their entire DWG based ecosystem. Nemetschek's portfolio is more fragmented....they'd have to produce native Allplan, Archicad and Vectorworks apps...with user bases a whole magnitude smaller. Of that reduced and fragmented customer base....how many have iPads?

So basically, a VW based iPad app will have to pay its own way. For comparison, premium iPad apps that actually do very little, such as OmniGraffle, cost 50 dollars and above. Are we willing to pay?

50 dollars, for viewing and field drafting? Who's in?

Edited by Chris D

You can have full Vectorworks running on your iPad for $0. Using any RDP or VPN with it running on your desktop and on your iPad you can open Vectorworks and open files on the desktop and work.

Now the connection speed will effect the interface speed and the tools and buttons are all a bit small, but this works today.

If need be just get the free Autocadd iPad app and import the drafted file into Vectorworks.

You can have full Vectorworks running on your iPad for $0. Using any RDP or VPN with it running on your desktop and on your iPad you can open Vectorworks and open files on the desktop and work.

Now the connection speed will effect the interface speed and the tools and buttons are all a bit small, but this works today.

If need be just get the free Autocadd iPad app and import the drafted file into Vectorworks.

The VPN route would be painful and data-hungry over a 3G connection out on site.

As for the DWG route...the reason I like VW so much is that it's a hell of a lot faster to actually get anything done....especially something like field drafting. To be reduced to AutoCAD style tools, and end up with dumb DWG data, would be a waste of effort really. Having said that...I'll be downloading AutoCAD WS on day one...it's the only solution on the table at the moment after all..

I agree with you Chris. Of course it needs to start doing just a few things well. It can grow into something more powerful over time, by which time we will be using large multi-touch desktop displays (sooner than many think I imagine).

IFC support would be good, along with the ability to utilise any teamwork server NV is hopefully cooking up.