Window sills in PIO do not work properly

These are some of the reasons I mentioned in other threads that the pio system in vectorworks should be replaced to something more modern. The pio's (including the window and door tools) are set according to other people's standards and if I want to do something that suits me and according to my non-american standards, then it becomes a huge problem.

If Nemetschek Vectorworks want's to truly be known as a company that serves international users, not just Americans, then the American pio's should not be forced onto international users.

Also, it's because of these problems that I don't use these tools therefore for me, vw isn't a BIM tool.

Sorry I couldn't be of help. :(

• 5 months later...

This appears to still be a problem in VW2011. Am I the only person who has an issue with this?

Is anyone out there getting correct results out of the sills in the window PIO? Am I missing some setting somewhere?

I'd really like to be able to model simple window sills using the built-in window PIO.

Hi Bill, I just tinkered around a little and I cannot make the sill behave. There is always a gap (as you have shown) where the trim does not meet the sill as expected. What's truly odd is that in the window Settings Preview, the trim *does* meet the sill as expected... Now that's what I call a bug (or three). If this hasn't yet been filed I would be happy to do so. Just let me know.

Looking closely, it appears that the PIO draws a "jamb" at the bottom of the window and then places the sill below that.

I have no idea if this has been submitted as a bug but I'd love it if you'd file one.

This problem has existed, at least, since VW2008. It would be great if VW would spend a man-hour or two and fix this darn thing.

Bill, et. al., I did file a bug and in the process discovered something: if you adjust the "Keep" dimension (make it wider) it will (sort of) fix the problem of a gap between the trim and the sill. I say sort of because although it does get rid of the gap it also demands that the user enter very specific dimensions (which may or may not be realistic or desired). I also added to the bug report that the "trim under sill" ought to exist entirely below the sill and that perhaps this bottom trim piece should have its own "width" parameter... Hope that helps (at least a little). P

Yes, And for what it's worth, whenever I need a truly detailed/custom trim or sill I just model it and put it into its own class. Same goes for corner trim (at bldg corners). For most projects it's really not all that bad. Once you create one it's pretty simple to duplicate and move into place. So it's not really the end of the world. However, what irks me is when a new functionality is added and it doesn't really work. Like my grandfather always used to say: If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!

• 9 years later...