Reference Dwg

I have checked almost everywhere on the forums, but either way perhaps this might have been addressed. Is there a way to be able to reference in place drawing files so that if a dwg file is updated - so is that reference in Vectorworks? This could really enhance workflow for standalone users in offices that use autocad but users who want to use vectorworks. Please let me know if this is the case - it would be my biggest motivator to buy it for myself.

Is there a way to be able to reference in place drawing files so that if a dwg file is updated - so is that reference in Vectorworks?

The simplest workaround is to use workgroup referencing. Simply have a shuttle file made in Vectorworks, with the imported DWG file data as the workgroup reference. And afterwards, if you get a new changed DWG file from someone, you can either import it into the same Vw shuttle file, or make a new Vw shuttle file with the same name, for workgroup referencing purposes.

When a DWG file is imported, it generally uses a Vw layer, named for each DWG drawing. So it is possible to have several DWGs in one Vw file reference, and turn on or off separate layers. I kind of like that feature. Also, DWG file imports in Vectorworks is fast and reliable. The only problem I've had was with drawing scales, which with Autocad was never perfect.

Edited by Bob-H