Worksheets and Walls in VW2011

Tobias

Now that walls have components that can extend above and below the core wall component, we need a way to query each component in worksheets. At this point the area calcs seem to take some sort of average wall height. It would be nice to be able to get the are (net and gross) for each individual component.

I.e. I would like to be able to query the area of the exterior insulation and siding components that extend below the wall to cover the slab edge, and be able the query the interior GWB that ends on top of the slab.

You'll see in my topic below "Material Take-offs" that I have a similar problem, that being, the area formulas returning the sum of all the components in a wall. A 100 sq. ft. 3 component wall will return an area of 300 sq. ft. I wouldn't want to be doing takeoffs without knowing this!

So, VW's software engineers, is Tobias's request doable?

Jeffrey, I looked in the VW's help file as you suggested but the examples are not helpful. Listen, we are not all "programmers" and sometimes it's difficult to interpret vague directions, so try to look at issues from our perspective. I followed the instructions from the VW's help file and it got me nowhere. My workaround is to use the function "WALLGROSSAREA" and divide it by the number of wall components.

So, can you please provide clear step by step instructions on achieving the accurate data we need from VW's worksheets.

Peter, I figured out a bit of it. I have a database set up to find walls of a particular layer and class. Then use the ComponentName(1) where the number is the component from the outside of the wall in. Skip defining the type again, i.e. t=wall. Seems to work. It would be nice to have a gross and net, the ComponentArea will give you net only.

Jeffrey, the help is marginal. Read the definition of the function WallArea_Gross/Net. They should yeild:

"The combined 2D gross/net surface area of one wall face for walls that meet the specified criteria"

Not what they do now, is it?

Peter, I figured out a bit of it. I have a database set up to find walls of a particular layer and class. Then use the ComponentName(1) where the number is the component from the outside of the wall in. Skip defining the type again, i.e. t=wall. Seems to work. It would be nice to have a gross and net, the ComponentArea will give you net only.

Jeffrey, the help is marginal. Read the definition of the function WallArea_Gross/Net. They should yeild:

"The combined 2D gross/net surface area of one wall face for walls that meet the specified criteria"

Not what they do now, is it?

And in some countries, the net area of the interior is different then that of the exterior, so it's totally useless for many countries. I always ask the volume and divide this with the width of the component. This will give more accurate surface area.