VW2011 - Scale "Send to C4D" command

Tobias

Question

Just got VW2011 and have been playing with the "Send to Cinema4D..." command. Overall, it seem to be a big step forward, but the objects that are exported into C4D are huge, 25x bigger than they should be. This problem used to be handled within C4D with a user-defined scale factor setting, but now with the native exchange this is side-stepped.

There should be a way to set a scale factor in within VW when exporting to C4D. This would need to be user defined as it would be different, depending on the units used.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am exporting from VW2011 to C4D 11.0

4 answers to this question

This is an imperial/metric conversion problem you're seeing.

I did some experimenting and it looks like the units need to be MM in Cinema 4D for the import to work. I suspect Cinema 4D files do not carry unit information. I could get everything to go across at the proper size as long as the document units in Vectorworks were metric and the unit preference in Cinema 4D was MM. It didn't seem to matter which metric unit was chosen in Vectorworks.

I would support a wish that cleared up the scaling issue during export.

Kevin

Right you are.

Another issue I am having is the C4D file that is created by the "Send to C4D.." command in VW2011 is in an invisible folder (/private/var/folder/MZ/) with a senseless (to me) file name (i.e. TMP_VECTORWORKS_FILE.PbC9xr.c4d).

Not that big a deal, except the 'tex' folder, (and a backup folder/file, as I have auto backup set up in C4D) are also created in the hidden folder. So, when I do "save as.." from within C4D and rename/relocate the exported file, the exported .jpg's used in the textures are lost, and I get render errors. I then have to manually locate the 'tex' folder and move it. That is sort of a pain, but also the hidden 'tex' folder, and backup folder will get huge over time, unless you remember to manually delete them from the hidden folder.

Not sure if it functions differently on C4D R12?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1. C4D R12 includes unit settings. The RW-exported file is exported in mm, and the R12 units setting is mm.

R11 ignores this new C4D feature though.

We may change the default to cm in the future to help R11 users who may be already used to cm as the file units.

2. For saving the temp project from the Send to C4D command, use the Save Project menu item in C4D instead of the plain Save.