Just a Question

Bryan G.

I think there should be functionality in the hardscape tool that not only allows for grade/slope but components much like the wall tool in architect functions. what I mean is for pavers we could spec the thickness of pavers, sand, base, geotextile, anything individually. This would be great for calculations and for section vies for different surfaces.

It would also be nice if it would give individual cut and fill calcs to just that surface.

Just looking for feedback on this or if there is a way to do this already I would like to know how.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In 2011, you can utilize the building wall object, that has components, as you know. Once you have placed these walls, you can select the new Create Retaining Wall Site Modifier Feature from the Landmark pull-down and set the elevation parameters from there on. You will see the modifiers place a pad at the bottom of the wall and line modifiers on the left and right side of the wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Bryan;

Thanks for the great presentation on 2011 Vectorworks features at the Vectorworks Exchange meeting a few weeks ago.

I don't have 2011, but I know the hardscape tool has been getting smarter. However, without the ability to work with sloped or sculpted surfaces, this tool will never be valuable in the 3d modeling environment.

I can imagine the math and programming required to add this feature might make this a difficult request, but in my opinion, the team working on the hardscape tool should stop whatever they're doing and work on this exclusively until it's a reality. I'm just a beginner at Vectorworks, but I know every hardscape has a pitch/slope, and in most cases, a single (and contiguous) hardscape surface connects (it's the circulation) between different site elements (parking, front entry, lawn, handicap ramp etc.) each of which is set at different elevations. need to meet several different to select an elevation point at a doorway, another one

Once that's done, your suggestion that sub-cut, base material, sand leveling bed and paver thickness allowance would be the next logical features to add. This idea would apply to all types of hardscape surfaces from asphalt driveways to permeable paving systems with their multiple courses of varying sized crushed clear aggregates. And while this may seem like too much detail, don't forget about over-dig calculations. How much wider does the excavation and base course need to be to support the pavers. Usually, the base extends 6" to 8" beyond the finished edge of the pavers, and the subcut is often 12" wider. That's a lot of material to be moved and accounted for.

As far as the retaining wall improvements, I like the ability to be able to step up the base and top of the wall to help it respond to the site, but I'm hoping someone is working on the batter angle of the retaining wall feature. A large percentage of retaining walls are gravity walls, and they all require a certain set-back per course. Even if this is only 1/2" per 6" of height, that adds up to quite a difference. I would actually be more in favor of the retaining wall feature staying on it's own and not being included in with the architectural walls (if that's the direction Vectorworks is going). In fact, there are several methods of revetment that would be useful to include. I could imagine a dialog box which would offer the choice of wall type (gravity wall - modular block, gravity wall - dry laid stone, cantilevered wall - concrete, even gabions and other types) along with a cross-section showing the variables such as block height, depth, geogrid reinforcement depth and layering, granular (drainage) backfill, base course embedment etc). Vectorworks could make the site modifier wall feature "smart" in all kinds of ways without even touching the engineering aspects. For instance, with modular block walls, you could enter in your block's dimensions and the setback per course and you'd have an accurate representation of the wall in the site model, setback and all. Worrying about a 15" setback from bottom to top on a 10' height wall might seem like a minor detail, and not worth the programming effort it would take to achieve, but often retaining walls are employed precisely because there are horizontal restrictions.

John