ELEVATIONS

There are a couple ways to do it. Here is the method I use: first model the building, then go to a side (or front, etc) view with "Unified View" on and all layers and classes visible that should be visible. Render in Open GL or FQRW (or leave in wireframe, you can change this easily later). With the model in the elevated view run the "Create Viewport" command, choose a sheet layer (perhaps a new one). Once on the Sheet Layer you can select the VP and fiddle with the render settings. I prefer (lately) to use FQRW for the background render and Hidden Line for the foreground. I use textures (on the original objects, walls, roofs, etc) that will print well, or I use VP Class over rides to change them in the VP. One such result is attached... P

I've used both a regular Viewport and a Section Viewport to create building elevations. The Section Viewport is preferable, especially if there's a DTM, and because then all your Sections, Elevations and Interiors are the same type of Viewport and also all non-section-plane classes can easily be displayed as a single line type. The only reason I use regular Viewports for elevations is based on my assumption that they are simpler and easier/faster for VW to calculate. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is really the case?...

Thanks! Will

because I find that textures are very ink heavy.

A way to solve this is to superimpose 2 identical VPs with the correct elevation. Then make one VP render in FQRW and the other in Hidden line (make sure the Hidden line VP is on top) then what I did was to reduce the opacity of the FQRW VP to such a degree that it loses the ink heaviness.....I'm not sure if this method can be combined into one VP and then somehow using the edit overrides, however this:

I prefer (lately) to use FQRW for the background render and Hidden Line for the foreground.

now leads me to believe it might be....?

Edited by Vincent C

Check this out, it might be what you're looking for:

http://download2.nemetschek.net/www_movies/2011/new_features/Extract-planar-objects.mov

Better still would be if textures could have an additional hatch component, one that shows up exclusively in Hidden LIne (both 3D and Orthogonal) drawings, while the texture itself shows up exclusively in Renderings and Open GL. Right within the Texture edit dialogue box, a brick hatch could be coordinated with its brick hatch pattern...

Will

I'm fascinated by the the concept of bringing 2D elevations into Vw2011, grouping them into a box, and drawing a 3D model in the center.

http://www.nemetschek.net/gfx/2011newfeatures/T00617-3d-environment-phase-2.jpg

http://www.nemetschek.net/gfx/2011newfeatures/T00734-perfect-preview-text-editing.jpg

This workflow applies to objects that are already drawn on paper (or even better, 2D Cad files) -- as the orthogonal views are scanned, and images are positioned and scaled in the 3D model environment. Then it's a matter of simply 3D tracing the outline of the model.

In all BIM applications, usually the opposite is done. The project is first 3D modeled, then sourced out as 2D elevation views.

It appears this elevations->model approach adds a new functionality to Vw that before could only be done through painstakingly transferring measurements. I can hardly wait to bring it into practice !! -- I just bought the upgrade.

Edited by Bob-H
  • 2 weeks later...
I am trying to get my 2d elevations to appear in B& W as per Peter's screen shot prior in the post. I have B&W selected in the "Advanced Properties" but still the FQRW background appears in color? Where do I make the adjustment. (See screen shot) TY J

That's normal. The B&W option is only for non-textures.

Maybe you can overwrite you classes?

Hi Jeremy, The easiest and fastest way I have found to do this is to print the Elevation Sheet(s) to PDF, then re-save the PDF using the Quartz FIlter called "Gray Tones". Of course these details are for the Mac OS built-in PDF creator. One note: make sure you are using textures (or overrides) that are not too dark as they print to paper quite poorly (not to mention waste ink).