Assigning Mouse Buttons

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of the hints that you bring up - they are all part of the standard MS Intellipoint options.

Assigning a command to the wheel (not the wheel button) isn't part of the programmable options. However since many graphics programs (Paint Shop, Irfan View, et al) do use the wheel to actually zoom in/out - I thought that someone might have come up with a way that this might be applied to the MS Intellipoint options.

Bob

You can assign the zoom in/out functions to the MS Intellimouse wheel by going to the assignment tab for the scroll wheel.

The way I've done it is to assign the "C" key to the wheel when I press down and forward (away from me) to zoom in; the "V" key to zoom out. These are VW's standard keyboard shortcuts for these tasks.

Although I've worked in AutoCAD as well, the zoomining in and out by this method in VW is not as smooth; it is incremental, but it does the trick.

You can also assign the side buttons with "X" (pointer/selection tool) and "Z" (pan and drag) keys to work more with the mouse and less with the keys. Pretty nifty timesaver.

I should note that these hints are what I use in VWA on a Mac using OS 9.1. They do not work in OS X since Microsoft has not yet updated the drivers for their Intellimouse mice.

Hope this helps. The key commands and assignments should work equally well in Windows through version 2000 Professional.

A clarification for assigning zoom to your MS Intellimouse.

Go to the control panel for Intellimouse (or if you have the latest driver, Microsoft Mouse). Go to "wheel" tab. Under "set global settings" click the "ADD" button to create a settings file for VectorWorks. Once you've done that, go to the "press & roll forward" button (for zooming in), click and select the "keystroke" as the command under that drop down menu. Then assign "c" as the key. Do the same for the "press and roll back" with the "v" key to zoom out.

Hope this helps.