Walls have improved greatly in Vw 2011

mike m oz

Thanks, Mike. I guess for rendering purposes, this is a great improvement. My problem with having to model the stone veneer separately is that you have to manually subtract the wall openings.

I downloaded the trial version and found out that you don't need to model the stone component separately. You just need to uncheck the follow wall top option and calculate the distance from the top of the stone to the top of the wall. The downside to this is that when you edit the top of the wall, you need to adjust the offset of the top for the outer component.

Thx again Mike for the examples!

Just to clarify why my wall example (technically) can't be done with the new wall tool --- the metal siding is installed above the stone veneer.

In Revit, there are two ways you can do this. You can either use 'stacked' walls or model the wall and stone veneer separately. In both cases, wall openings are automatically cut. FYI.

I've played a bit with the wall tool and agree its a step in the right direction. I am curious and frustrated about a couple of things though.

One is that I'm not able to set a fill colour for a component and have it render with the colour as it will if the attribute for the whole wall is set in the attribute palette. In plan it shows up but not in rendered 3D. Textures can be applied to the component and it renders fine but not fills. Simple fills do have a speed advantage over textures and many times in the early design stages are just as effective.

The second is the interface choice to set the height of a component relative to the height of a wall rather then relative to the component's height AFF. For instance baseboards, wainscots, wall guards, bulkheads etc. in the real world are all set at a certain height from the floor. Whether a wall is 8 feet high or 10 feet high, flat or peaked, the baseboard or other similar component is at a standard height. VW11 requires each wall type with a different height to have a different offset for the same component. So yes the new walls can do these things but it seems somewhat tedious and limiting when working with different wall heights.

Maybe its because of some complex programming issue, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be all that different for a component to have a bottom height and a top height regardless of the wall's overall height. Lenb

I am assuming that with these new walls they still can only be at 90? to horizontal (completely vertical): are sloping walls possible?

And can I also assume that it is not possible to have Slabs that have a pitch to them: for example, a concrete garage floor that slopes to drain 1/4":12"?

mike m oz - thanks for the added insight into v2011.

Regards,

Tim