Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

customized keynote system

Ed Twohey AIA

I am currently using VW 2008, but have never been able to get the keynote and/or notes database system to work the way we would like. Not sure if this is a setup problem on our end, if it is possible, or if it would be possible in a newer version, either 2011 or 2010. here is the description: We would like to use vector script to create a new custom tool, similar to the call-out tool with a notes database, but one that uses only our numbered keynotes (06160.b = Plywood Sheathing 5/8")

We would enter only the number from our established list onto the drawing viewport, and some kind of script would pick up the numbers used on a view ( or group of views), relate them to a database on our server, and produce a worksheet key-note legend that would appear in the title block of that sheet. Can somebody make this happen for us? We will pay$.

I knew a firm that had this working in Autocad v8 and excell some 15 years ago...gotta be possible.

In VW 2008, all this functionality is possible except for the external database connection. It is possible to read an excel file that has been saved as a .cvs (comma delimited) file.

If you want the direct connection to the database, you will need to upgrade to VW 2011 which now has the database functions but since they have not been tested extensibly under all kinds of environments, it would be hard to recommend an upgrade at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

ED,

With Vectorworks 2010, improvements were made to the Callouts, Keynote Legend and Notes Database to enable this across documents and across sheets in a document.

Essentially, you create a Notes Database file, as Miguel indicated. This can be modeled after the default Notes Database found in the application file.

When placing Callouts, you would then select the 'Place as Keynote' option and select the Keynote Legend they are subscribed to. The Keynote Legend can be placed on any Design or Sheet Layer.

In your case, I would place the Keynote Legend on a Design Layer and then create a viewport that is placed in the desired spot of the title block. This viewport can be duplicated so it appears on the title block of each sheet layer.

When using the Callout as Keynote option, the display attributes of the Callout are controlled by the Keynote Legend. There you can set the way the Legend and Callouts display, such as the desired "06160.b" instead of just "1, 2, 3, etc."

If all you have a fully structured Index for your database then this is my suggestion for a Scope of Work for you to get it Scripted.

1)

Use an external Database to create this.

You want the database to be able to create an XML file that defines the text fields you want associated with the number.

2)

You want a simple PlugIn Object That allows you to type in the Keynote.

Ideally you want this PIO to pass the XML file to create dynamic drop down selections. No idea on the performance issues around this.

3)

You want a 2ND plug in object.

This plugin is your Legend.

The legend should be able to resize the text width and page layout.

This plugin will search the drawing for your keynote PIO's pick up the values to an Array. Then pass the XML file searching for the tag and importing the corresponding data into a new array.

Then loop the Full Data array to layout the legend.

This object needs a refresh button.

Ideally you want this to be able to do Versioning so if you replace delete or add a keynote after contract is issued it will 'bubble' changes.

I have been thinking about this myself recently. We currently have a similar method working but with work sheets. It is a bit buggy so not ready for prime time.

We have a KeyNotePIO. This is used through out the drawing.

Input Values:

SpecIndex

KeyNote

Description.

We use a Worksheet to find all key notes.

We use the SUM on the description Column and KeyNote Column to check for inconstancies.

We Have a LEGEND PIO that reads the worksheet file to layout and create the legend.

Our major limitation is that the worksheet fields only allow a limited number of characters forcing us to use short descriptions. Also this data is located in each project file thus we have to build a new symbol library to create an office KeynoteDatabase.

A cloud based Database (zoho creator is free) would be much better.

Sorry can't post my script as the Index we use is the NewZealand MasterSpec Index which they have copyright.