a very crucial question, what VW can't do that ArchiCAD & Revit can do?

I take every opportunity to point out the relative efficiency of Vectorworks. I've been a devoted user since it was called MiniCad4.

But my issue is with big projects where the design team has dozens of architects and engineers working on projects in the $50 million plus range. My role is relatively small, so refusing to do what all the other team members are doing is like the proverbial "tail wagging the dog." They would just say, "Fine, we will get someone who is more interested in working with us," and I would lose the job.

Cheers!

Unfortunately you are wrong: AutoCAD is by many magnitudes more wide-spread and in my last reading, AutoCAD Architecture was capable of BIM.

mmmm, I forgot about AC Arch. Here in Holland nobody is seriously considering AutoCAD (most Dutch offices have plain vanilla AC) when talking about BIM. Over here, at least so it seems, it is all between VW - ArchiCAD - Revit.

Unfortunately you are wrong: AutoCAD is by many magnitudes more wide-spread and in my last reading, AutoCAD Architecture was capable of BIM.

mmmm, I forgot about AC Arch. Here in Holland nobody is seriously considering AutoCAD (most Dutch offices have plain vanilla AC) when talking about BIM. Over here, at least so it seems, it is all between VW - ArchiCAD - Revit.

+ Allplan and Microstation V8i

So, what are the numbers telling us: how many people did a Google-search? That is of little interest or relevance.

Sorry Blind expert but I can't agree with you ;)

Search frequencies of such generally marginal brands like VectorWorks, Revit and Archicad (compared to for example Google itself) show how popular and important these brands are inside CAD/BIM involved community.

As you can see popularity of Revit is growing rapidly, Archicad stagnates and VW popularity is slowly decreasing ...

Of course, popularity not necessarily correlates with actual customer basis of selected brands, but the trends are relentless.

And Revitcity traffic vs VW techboard traffic is eloquent ...

I wonder whether Nemetschek group has some longterm strategy how to face Revit threat. (??Better interoperability between Allplan, VW and Archicad??)

Edited by starling75

I wonder whether Nemetschek group has some longterm strategy how to face Revit threat. (??Better interoperability between Allplan, VW and Archicad??)

We all wonder! We also are still wondering if VW sees Revit as competition or not!?

That type of interoperability is sure to cost quite a bit to develop and keep up to date after each yearly release........are you willing to lose even more stability and functionality for that kind of operability? (assuming NVW is not going to increase the price for VW in the near future).

Edited by Vincent C

Now, this is the trend; Google-queries are still something completely different.

Google trends is rough tool, but it gives interesting results we can (at least) think about ..

Where is no curiosity or even no knowledge about apps existence, there is no need to search details, ask questions and finally to buy and use the product...

Edited by starling75

My Vw User Group has a few theater design professionals, and a couple of landscape designers. They can testify that Vw Spotlight and Vw Landmark are market leaders in their categories. No Autodesk threat there.

My worry would be the way Revit is being developed -- a closed, non-interoperable platform, with no backward compatibility.