Layer 0, come into thy inheritance

Why can't VW use the indomitable class 'none' as AutoCAD uses Layer 0 when it comes to inserting symbols.

In short, a symbol drawn in class 'none' would inherit the object attributes of the class in which it is inserted. Currently, the symbol will only inherit the attributes of the classes in which it is drawn.If you DON'T want this inheritance feature, then simply force the attribs of the objects within the symbol.

With this feature, a given symbol can be used for design, presentation, and working drawing purposes, or it can be ported from one set of drawing standards to another without the carry-over of old or foreign class names or colours.

That would screw up all existing drawings, and i don't think it's the best interface. Better might be modifying the current system, which has "by class", to also have "by paren'ts class" (equivalent to AutoCAD's "by block"), and "by top level class" (equivalent to AutoCAD's layer "0").

There hasn't been much demand for this however. I asked about it on the beta list a while back and got no response as i recall.

Maybe an even a more useful system can be created based on an analysis of what you can't do now that you'd like to do - i.e. looking at the source of the issue rather than jumping to a solution that may be less general and useful than it could be.