Vectorworks 2011 ?Release note

Translations of one native schema to another native schema is not only hard, it is, frankly, very unlikely to ever "live up" to user expectations.

That is sure to remain the case however, basic standard PIOs (walls, doors, windows) are used in say 75% of the cases so just translating essential data ie. Wall height, width, length (which is already in place for IFC import in Archicad) and Door/Window width and height, would be a big time saver (worth the effort/investment from a consumers perspective).

In its current incarnation, IFC does not try to support parametric descriptions of objects.

(Walls excluded see above) I think it is only a question of time before most CAD programs will able to interpret and translate other IFC objects to basic native PIOs...

I can use Vectorworks, my structural guy can use Scia Engineer, my HVAC guy can use DDS-CAD, and as long as I can coordinate their assemblies into my project (and make space for them, check for clashes, etc.) then I'm happy. I don't need to, nor do I want to, edit their work as native BIM objects.

Again I agree when it comes to coordination between different disciplines, however among Architects/designers alike I believe it is unavoidable, we're not there yet but soon when everyone has gone to an all 3D work flow you will be laughed at if you suggest sending over 'dead' 2D/3D cad files (as you would be laughed at now if you suggest sending paper copies of your discipline when all other consultants are exchanging CAD files)

I think it is a strength for an architecture office to have different CAD programs in house (as it is in ours), however if one can't exchange files more easily most of this advantage becomes a disadvantage because of the lost time in drafting things twice (as it is in my office, I cannot use VW to it's full capacity because no one can finish the job when I'm not present so I have to use ArchiCAD :( and that is very frustrating because I realize i would be more effective/efficient (and happy) using VWs!!!)

Edited by Vincent C
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can't even specify a door by its structural opening, which is the main way we specify door sizes in the UK. I've no idea whether this has been changed in 2011?

I can confirm the problem still exists in v2011.

This upgrade isn't selling itself yet..

Right, off to the wishlist with this one (again).

I've just read the Architosh interview/review and I'm wondering about a comment by Dr. Sarkar regarding DLSVP's

"The section plane elements in a DLSVP are drawn as planar objects. That means objects on the working plane coincident with the section plane can be used for further modeling."

Does this mean the section plane elements are live or only static elements that can be edited. I'm sure the live idea is pie in the sky but I'm curious nonetheless.

The Quick Preferences addition to the RH end of the Tool bar is very neat.

There are several nice little additions like these to supplement the more meaty changes.

I particularly like the the 2D/3D integration and the enhanced Push/Pull tool. My desire to use Sketchup for quick simple modelling has gone because it no longer has any advantages.

Windoor does this and a whole lot more! They probably have more important things to concentrate on....

Really? We bought it so we could do Velfac-type windows where sash and frame are in line. These are very common in Europe. But Windoor can't do them either. After enquiry we're told Windoor is aimed at the local Australian market and are only advancing development for that. I suggest making detailed enquiries before purchase.

So we had to model them by hand with hybrid symbols and insert via VW's windows using the "Use Symbol Geometry" option, to leverage scheduling and wall component wrapping etc. But, we currently can't get this to work either..appears completely differently than inserted as the stand-alone hybrid. Result: no BIM capability for our most common windows, and the drawings are a mess. We've been tinkering with this for months now... :(

The Quick Preferences addition to the RH end of the Tool bar is very neat.

There are several nice little additions like these to supplement the more meaty changes.

I particularly like the the 2D/3D integration and the enhanced Push/Pull tool. My desire to use Sketchup for quick simple modelling has gone because it no longer has any advantages.

SU push/pull modelling capabilities are still much more flexible and intuitive than 2011.

SU modelling environment is fully OpenGL rendered. I tried to model same way in 2011 and it's still a pain ..

See MCAD 3D graphic performance comparison by Deelip Menezes

http://www.deelip.com/?p=2730

On the other hand 2011 modeller is solid/NURBS based which is better than SU simple polygon modelling ..

But when it comes to 2D geometry extraction from smooth solid/Nurbs based models I still can't extract smooth polyline contours. 2D representation of sphere should be always circle, 2D representation of filleted corners should be ellipse segments and projections of other more complex shapes should be represented by Bezier curves ..

(Yes, I can already extract polylines from surfaces using extract tool - great!)

2011 still extracts viewport geometry via linear approximation, this means that from superior 3D nurbs based geometry I will get same 2D output as from polygon based - faceted model ...

I like the feeling of 2011, it's significant step forward .. and there is still space for improvements and bug fixes ;) (wall reshape tool - 1mm step for example)

Really? We bought it so we could do Velfac-type windows where sash and frame are in line. These are very common in Europe. But Windoor can't do them either. After enquiry we're told Windoor is aimed at the local Australian market and are only advancing development for that. I suggest making detailed enquiries before purchase.

So we had to model them by hand with hybrid symbols and insert via VW's windows using the "Use Symbol Geometry" option, to leverage scheduling and wall component wrapping etc. But, we currently can't get this to work either..appears completely differently than inserted as the stand-alone hybrid. Result: no BIM capability for our most common windows, and the drawings are a mess. We've been tinkering with this for months now... :(

I've had this on the wishlist for a while with both the UK distributor and NV:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121946

ArchiCAD has a superb addon specifically for these modular windows, which is distributed to ArchiCAD subscribers for free:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=26789