Displaying records on drawing layer or annotations layer

da_muel

Hi,

I am drawing up a design for a museum exhibit that has aprox 250 individual artefacts to display. Im trying to find a way of assigning a record (or similar) to each artefact that will enable draw a call out label (or similar) that will display info about the object (its size, case, mount style and other notes). At the moment I have to select the object, copy the data from the record and then past it as a note on the annotations layer which seems like a very long winded way of doing things.

Have read through a couple of posts and the help section relating to callouts and have had a quick play with it but cant find any way of linking info to a specific object so that I can list / count it on a worksheet to export to my client but can also annotate its inclusion and postion on a drawing. Ideally I would like to be able to do this in 3d viewport as opposed to just on a plan or elevation viewport as many cases are very full and have several layers of artefacts.

Can anyone offer any advice on this please.

Am happy to upload a portion of a file if it helps.

Thanks

Sam

Thanks Vincent C - I think this will work in some places but some of the items have long descriptions with multiple text fields and when they are laid one on top of the other on shelves in a case it will be very hard to read. Ideally I'd like to be able to pull out information in perspective views too and be able to do it selectively. Thanks tho - can definitely use this for some of the larger free standing items.

Cheers

Sam

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sam, is it necessary to have the textual information directly in the callout? This seems almost more like a scheduling application. You can have a schedule with an identifier field which orders it. Then you could make a custom tag symbol for the ID Label tool which accesses your record to extract the identifier text. So you could have a callout (actually an ID Label) which would display the identifier and the ability to reference the schedule which contains the longer information. This allows for a density of data within the drawing (so you don't need multiple layers).

Thanks Robert, will take a look at this - sounds like a good way to go but if pos would like at least the name of the object rather than a reference number to appear in the callout / id label. Means I and my client can look at one drawing and very quickly see what is accounted for / placed and what is not with out having to refer back to a spread sheet with descriptions for all the identifiers. Only just started to look at this so not sure what is possible with ID tags.

Thanks

Sam

• 3 weeks later...