Video Card advice?

jan15

Does an expensive video card speed up VectorWorks?

Speed was never an issue before. There was never any delay even on the slowest machine. But now I'm starting to do presentation drawings, with lots of solids and patterns and intricate shapes and bit-map images pasted in. And I might start doing 3D presentation drawings.

I don't know anything about video cards. The names all sound psycho-violent, so I assume they're aimed at the video arcade crowd. Do they also help with Vector Works? Or are there other video cards that are geared toward CAD? Or is better to spend the money on a faster CPU?

The prices I've seen for video cards range from ten dollars to around two thousand! Are some cards really two hundred times better than others? How much do you have to spend to make a noticeable improvement?

Any specific recommendations? The motherboard I'm using now is a microATX, with on-board "Trident Blade 3D AGP" video. It apparently has a max. 8 mb frame buffer. Will a PCI plug-in video card improve speed much? I don't have an AGP slot, but I could change the motherboard if that's an important issue.