Model Setup Dialog

New to VW, I know what elevations and thicknesses I want.

But, I'm confused by terms and diagram in the Model Setup Dialog. I have Pickup's VW Architect Manual, still confused.

Does anyone have a link which explains all this?

Q: On Mod-Flor-1, "Slab Thickness" refers to "slab" below or "slab" above?

Q: Does "slab" include top of slab and plenum space?

Q: I have no ceiling on Mod-Flor-2, it's exposed. What do I put for Ceiling Height?

Q: Bearing plate height for roof?

This dialog needs some GUI improvements.

I would suggest that you set your layer parameters via the Organization Tool. This should help you visualize what you are doing. You can see and change all your settings in one place. The Z elevation for a floor level will be the "0" elevation on that specific layer when you create an object like a floor or wall. Some PIO's like walls with pick up the layer thickness (+/- Z) automatically if set them to do this. For floor objects you have to set the thickness.

Edited by J Lucas

you can use the model set up command, but you should really learn how to set up and manage layers with the Navigation palette or the Organization dialog box. The Model set up will not create all the layers you need, there is no option for two roof layers for example. So learn to use the Navigation palette.

The architect Tutorial manual covers this in some detail, you can see it here:

http://www.nemetschek.net/training/guides.php

there is a short manual that might help you:

http://www.archoncad.com/stacked-layersunified-view-amp-setting-up-layers.html

Including objects with user variable parameters - stairs, walls, springs, doors, etc.

Many examples of PIOs are contained in a folder called Plug-Ins in your Applications>Vectorworks2010 folder. (don't mess with em' in the folder - access them through the various tools and commands).

But you can make your own, too.

These PIOs (Plug In Objects) are not to be confused with the OIP (Object Info Palette)

-B