problems with default application

GRC

I have VW08 and VW09 installed on my Mac. I haven't used VW08 for a long time, but keep it in case I have an old file that needs work.

However, every time I click on a VW09 file, it tries to open it in VW08. It won't open it of course.

So, I go to get info and pull down the App menu. It shows VW08 with default written by it and VW09.

I select VW09 and click on the Convert All button.

Bottom line is this does not work. The settings are not changed and the story repeats itself.

The only way I can run a file in VW09 is to open VW09 first and then open the file from inside.

Need some help.

Hi Ben,

What are you using it on?

Maybe you could add your system details in your signature box to save us having to ask before answering your "Q's".

Sounds like you may have a tired and stale Mac. Don't worry, nothing serious as i usually find a clean up tool like Applejack sorts out most niggles like these. If you don't have it or don't wish to install it, i think restarting from your Mac OS instalation CD and using Disc Utility to repair Permissions will probably sort everything out, but Applejack is a brilliant little piece of kit.

Also, if instead you just Open the version of VW you want to use, then Open the desired file from VW . . . . . .

:)

Let us know how you get on.

Andi

select a VW2008 file

Get Info>Open With>VW2009> Change All

select a VW2009 file

Get Info>Open With>VW2009> Change All

This should cause all VW2009 files to open directly in VW2009 and all VW2008 files to display a dialog box asking whether to create a new, converted file with same name plus 2009 moniker added at end. To avoid the new converted file, say no, and drag file to VW2008 dock icon or launch VW2008 and browse to the file in the Open window.

Anyway, that's how mine works with VW2009/VW2010

Does repair permissions make any difference after the Get Info changes?

Reboot?

-B

Does repair permissions make any difference after the Get Info changes?

Reboot?

-B

Benson, sometimes repairing permissions does not always solve everything 1st time, but then i'm still using a G5 with 10.5.8, but it has been suggested that these things can take a couple of attempts, just like checking disk status- check/repair.

Get Info does sometime get seized up and no matter how much you try unlocking and changing permissions, things can sometimes just revert to how they were previously. That's when i Zap the Permissions.

Another reason why i fall back on Applejack, it really oils the pistons and greases the bearings. Always worth checking before assuming all is untouched though, if you have made GI changes.

Andi

Yeah, systems can get really mucked up. My old G4 powerbook hummed along for years. Then VW started crashing it about every 10 minutes. I never figured it out. PRAM, Pref zaps, uninstall, etc, etc. Fortunately, it was time for an intel laptop. VW worked fine in the new machine.

Anyway, I hope some of this is helping GRC.

-B