Fonts & 9.5

CEA

I just upgraded from version 9.01 to version 9.5, and Vectorworks 9.5 will not work with many of the fonts on my computer.

Mac G4, 512mb ramSystem 9.1

ALL of my drawings use the fonts Palatino and Adobe Graphite. While these fonts show up in the text menu, they will not appear in either old drawings created in version 9.01 or in drawings created in 9.5.

I have checked the CarbonLib extension, it is version 1.4 as recommended by Nemetschek.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

I believe the problem with Graphite is because it is a multiple master font. I do not understand what the problem is with Palatino, but I will call tech support to see if they have any input.

I have been using Adobe's multiple master version of Graphite. In a previous related topic someone mentioned that there were other versions of Graphite available that are not multiple master fonts.

Another source for Graphite is "Font Bureau" (www.fontbureau.com). They sell "Macintosh Type 1" versions of Graphite.

The Font Bureau fonts consist of three files, the font suitcase, a PostScript file and an "AMF" file they say is optional and only required by "certain high-end applications."

Does anyone know if this version of Graphite will work with Vectorworks 9.5?

It seems that on the Macintosh, some fonts will not work with carbonized applications regardless of the version of the operating system. I should probably have understood this from the previous fonts topic, so thanks to anyone who replied earlier.

I have installed VW9.5 on a G4 laptop running OS9.1. All the fonts, including the Graphite multiple master fonts seem to work fine.

The G4 laptop has the CarbonLib 1.2.5 extension, while the G4 desktop has the CarbonLib 1.4 extension. Could this be the source of my font problems? Am I better off using the CarbonLib 1.2.5 extension?

Both systems are running OS 9.1.

Just before I left for the holidaze, I needed to prepare and send out some drawings with the Graphite font. They were sketches on 8 1/2 x 11 detail sheets.

I am using Mac OS X at home with VWA 9.5 running native. I printed out two copies: one on a HP 4MP and one on a new HP G85 (all-in-one). Both printed out beautifully, the latter in color. I was also able to use the G85's HP Director software to fax directly from my PB G3 (Lombard) to multiple recipients.

I purchased a single form of the font from the Font Bureau and installed it into the fonts folder and it printed out like a charm. Worth the $40. They were champs in being able to complete the transaction in just 15 minutes. Timely, considering the Mrs. said that's all I had or she would leave on vacation without me. (Nice to be able to tie up loose ends without a hitch.) wink.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a different font-based problem.

dual G4 450 800+mb ram, vw9.5.0 under OSX.1.2 with OS9.2.2 sys. folder on same partition. When opening vw8.5.2 drawings in 9.5.0 vw will crash if Adobe Tekton is used in drawing. My typical drawings contain Optima, Tekton, and Helvetica fonts. No problem with any font other than Tekton. Drawing will open in 9.5 is Tekton is on hidden layer, but will crash instantly upon trying to make layer with Tekton visible. Every drawing I need to carry forward into 9.5 must have Tekton text changed to something else. Fortunately, I am able to run 8.5.2 in OS9 (classic mode) while 9.5 is running simultaneously under OSX. This allows me to open the original drawing in vw8, make the changes, close, reopen the drawing in 9.5, convert, and save as 9.5. What a pain.

Otherwise, compliments to the programming staff for having cleaned up the 9.0-1 mess. 9.5 on OSX looks great, rendering is much faster, some things still slow (ex: redraw with pict images included) and my cursor tends to permanently disappear every now and then when trying to run both versions simultaneously requiring a restart of the entire system (even under OSX!). At least I've stopped seriously looking for another CAD package. VW is still the best for me.

ATM 4.6.2

I thought I'd isolated the problem to Tekton, and that does still seem to be a factor, but MSOfficeX sometimes will and sometimes won't start with Tekton PS icons and Suitcase in System Folder and likewise, vw9.5 will sometimes open the 8.5.2 drawings and sometimes won't. And there's a problem with some forms of Tekton (oblique, but varies) appearing and printing bit-mapped both in 8.5.2. It feels more like a font and operating system problem than something caused by VW. I've tried all combinations of what's in Sys.Fold. and what's not. No absolute certainty as to what's the problem determined yet. Anybody else having problems? Anyway, it's enough of a problem and unreliable that it looks like I'll have to run 9.5 under OS9.2.2 (startup, not classic) - which seems to run OK, it just doesn't allow me use the advantages of OSX.

I believe that CipesDesign is correct, and that ATM will not work with OSX.

Here is some additional information from the Adobe web site:

"All standard Adobe western PostScript Type 1 fonts in the Adobe Type Library are compatible with Mac OS X in either native or Classic mode. However, Adobe Multiple Master fonts do not appear in the font menus of carbonized applications running under Mac OS X native."

http://www.adobe.com:80/type/typeOSX.html

Multiple master fonts allow you to make changes to the fonts appearance. If you do not need this feature, you may want to see if you can find a PostScript Type 1 version of Texton.

I have read that Apple will eventually be providing its own replacement for ATM. Does anyone have any information about this?

You can buy a single version of Tekton ($25.99) or a package ($95.99) from Adobe online at the following address: http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_123.html

Since these are Type 1 and not multiple maste (MM) fonts, they should work on OS X as they did for me using FontBureau's Graphite.

I should note that Suitcase does not specifically say on their ads whether it makes MM fonts work in OS X. Does anyone else know more about that? Suitcase offers a competitive upgrade from Adobe's ATM Deluxe ($59) that would be less expensive than having to repurchase these fonts and continue using the ones we now have.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Just another little input into this ongoing problem...

Before OSX, adding or otherwise changing fonts in the System Folder/Fonts simply required relaunching any particular Application (program) in order to register the font into that App. It was not necessary to restart the entire machine.

One of the things I think I've determined is that under OSX, fonts may or may not become active or inactive just by moving them in or out of the System Folder. I've gotten really inconsistent results with the pre-OSX routine, but consistent results if I actually restart the machine. Not a workable solution, but a least a possible clue to what's going on. In the meantime, I've concluded that removing all traces of Adobe Tekton and Tragan from my 9.2.2 System Folder allows 9.5 to run smoothly under OSX.1.2 and open 8.5.2 version drawings with the font-mapping substitute of Arial Narrow for Tekton (any font would do, but Arial Narrow is closest acceptable substitute for me). Tekton was apparently the culprit re: Vectorworks, and Tragan had to go because of MSOfficeX.