Printing/Plotting

I?ve recently moved to a small town where the print/reprographics outfits cannot accept .pdf files, or Mac plot files. The only choice I have is the Xerox enlargement route. I remember, but cannot locate, a previous discussion concerning the ratios for reducing a 24 x 36 file by a certain % and then having the printer enlarge the copy by a certain %. If anyone remembers these percentages, I would appreciate your response.

Thanks.

To find a reduction or enlargement percentage, divide the target dimension by the original and multiply by 100.

Example: to reduce a 36x24" drawing so that it'll fit on a 11x8.5 sheet, divide the length of each target side by the length of the corresponding original side:

(11"/36") * 100 = 30.555...%(8.5"/24) * 100 = 35.41666...%

Notice that the percentages are different because a 8.5"x11" sheet is wider relative to its length than is a 36"x24" sheet. You probably want to use the same scaling percentage in both directions, so just use the smaller one.

To enlarge the drawing, just reverse the process:

(36"/11") * 100 = 327.272727...%

Hope that helps.

Caleb Strockbine

To find a reduction or enlargement percentage, divide the target dimension by the original and multiply by 100.

Example: to reduce a 36x24" drawing so that it'll fit on a 11x8.5 sheet, divide the length of each target side by the length of the corresponding original side:

(11"/36") * 100 = 30.555...%(8.5"/24) * 100 = 35.41666...%

Notice that the percentages are different because a 8.5"x11" sheet is wider relative to its length than is a 36"x24" sheet. You probably want to use the same scaling percentage in both directions, so just use the smaller one.

To enlarge the drawing, just reverse the process:

(36"/11") * 100 = 327.272727...%

Hope that helps.

Caleb Strockbine

We have the benefit of an HP LaserJet 4V that allows printing to 11x17, which is close to a miniset size.

We have found that a 24 x 36 can be reduced to 45% and will include the title block.

We will send it out to have it enlarged (OC? or Xerox) and request enlargement to 222%. Scales beautifully!

By printing out to 11x17, you can maintain the line weight resolution and most of the fills/hatches.

I have had the HP4MV for many years (which is similar to the HP4V except with postscript). I have gotten in the habit of drawing in a 22 x 34 box on 24 x 36 sheets setup. Then when I print out to the 4MV I use a 50% reduction to get 11 x 17. Then the reduced sheets have a standard scale and are great checkprints and often great field prints. To enlarge just use 200%. A 1/4" = 1'-0" becomes 1/8" = 1'-0". Printing out a sheet at 50% at 600dpi is very sharp and at a few seconds a sheet is very fast. The slightly larger border used is worth the standard scale print.

While we are talking about PLOTTING/PRINTING, it is about time the READ ONLY area of this message board update the PRINTING/PLOTTING information area. The last Nemetschek post is almost one and a half years old.

We need printing SOLUTIONS. My HP350C (24"x 36") hasn't worked for a while and I want to get a new large format plotter. I used powerplot which is now defunct.

I would like to see a list of particular solutions for different machines, printers and operating systems. This list would grow over time. Advantages and disadvantages of each solution would be given. Each solution could be put in a chart giving information on everything from hardware and software setup to printing speed and network capabilities.

Thanks