Creating an Elevation Sheet

I'm sure there is a simple solution, but I'm getting frustrated finding it. I've worked my way through Mr. Pickup's 'Vectorworks Essential Tutorial Manual' a couple of times and am using it (along with his VW Architect Tutorial Manual) as my guide as I put together a set of drawings for a small house addition. I've created elevations according to his instructions using the Mod-3D Model Layer and forming the elevations front, left, right, back and placed them on Mod-Section/Elevations layer (pages 144 thru 151 of the manual). How do I get these elevations from the Mod-Section/Elevations layer to a sheet layer? If I try transferring them to my elevation sheet, the scale is lost (the scale reverts to 1:1) and I can't do anything to adjust the scale in the sheet layer. At least I don't see a way of doing it. Can anyone help me set up an elevation sheet drawing properly?

Thanks kindly!

Guest Wes Gardner

I'm not familiar enough with Jonathan's book to be able to comment on what page but...the general workflow is to create your model in design layers, then, to create elevations, use the Create Section Viewport command and cut your section just outside the building, you then place this on a sheet layer - if you then click on the viewport, in the Object Info Palette, you'll able to scale your elevation to fit the sheet. Then proceed with placing a drawing border and title block and VOILA, Elevation Sheet.

Once you have created the elevations you want, create a viewport of each elevation and place on a elevation sheet. Eartlier in the Manual you are shown how to create a viewport at the correct scale and place it on a sheet later for priniting. Use this techniques to place the elevation viewports on the sheet layer.

Later on in the manual, I show you how you can create live elevation viewports.

Jonathan, thanks for your reply, I tried creating the viewport of the elevations that I created, but when I go to the elevation sheet, I see only a rectangle, but no elevation. When I double click the rectangle as if to edit, I see the elevation, but when I exit that view I'm again seeing only a rectangle. I checked to make sure I had no fill selected on my viewport. Where am I going wrong? I'm not having any problem with floor plans, just elevations.

can create 2D elevations from the 3D model and place them on the Mod-Section/Elevations layer if you want, them create a sheet layer viewport of each elevation to be placed on the sheet layer for printing. Some people like this method.

or you can use the 3D model to create sheet layer viewports (elevations) to be placed on the sheet layer. a viewport can have hatching, notes and additional information added to it. The advantage of this is that the elevations can be updated easily as the model develops.

the choice is yours.

Thanks again, Jonathan. I tried your section option, with the 3D view, and was fumbling along but figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't updating the viewports as soon as they were created. I was getting frustrated because I'd create the viewport and see only a wireframe drawing despite creating a hidden line rendering during the viewport creation process. I finally right clicked and saw the update command and gave that a try. Well, that solved the problem.

I'm slow, but it sinks in eventually!

Guest Wes Gardner

Cameron,

Glad you got it sorted. Don't forget that EACH viewport can be rendered in a different style i.e. - one can be Hidden Line and another can be OpenGL, etc. and they can all reside on the same sheet (and at different scales if need be). You should also investigate Class Overrides within the Viewport providing you with the ability to manipulate line weight, color etc. without affecting the MODEL itself.

This is a very powerful and flexible program but CAN take a while to get your head around...

When I make Vw elevations, I first make one sheet layer viewport, with all the correct visibilities and rendering, and then make duplicates of the same elevation. Then I change the duplicate viewports, using the object info palette, for the correct elevation views.

I've done something like this in Autocad over the years, without the 3D.

And yes, that "Update Viewports" command can be a bit of an annoying chore, I hope the newer version somehow lets them auto-update.

Edited by Bob-H