A wee thought on flexibility vs. power

Christiaan

Question

They?re different things. Flexibility is the ability of software to change in response to different user requirements; power is the ability to do more with less effort.

There?s a complicated relationship between the two and sometimes flexibility may add to power but flexibility can reduce power just as often, if not more often.

We currently use a largely 2D workflow and we want to move to a largely 3D workflow. While VW is flexible enough to allow us to move to such a workflow it will take us far more effort, largely because VW development has been focused (intentionally or not) on flexibility rather than power.

We'd like more power.

6 answers to this question

.....VW has within a couple of versions gone from both to only one.......time for change!

Well said. I feel the same.

I've got vw+rw2010 but I use vw2008 still.

I tried importing a whole lot of 3d dwgs into vw2010 but it couldn't handle most of it. Those that did come in made vw crash when I tried to export to c4d.

vw2008 brought in all the dwg's and was faster than vw2010 in doing so. All exported to c4d without any issues.

I used to be a VW fanboy... now I see what other packages get I think change is inevitable.

If VW does not include the following in the next upgrade:

1. Use multicore

2. Self manage detail & section refs.

3. Fix the Notes database to update correctly.

4. Make the worksheet data return intuitive and consistant

I think I'm gone

I used to be a VW fanboy... now I see what other packages get I think change is inevitable.

If VW does not include the following in the next upgrade:

1. Use multicore

2. Self manage detail & section refs.

3. Fix the Notes database to update correctly.

4. Make the worksheet data return intuitive and consistant

I think I'm gone

Intelligent editable live sections and elevations are a must if it is to be a true 3D BIM Modeler!