How do I add a picture to a surface?

i&gdesigns

Dear all, can someone tell me how do I add a picture/visual to a surface? As I'm trying to add a picture/visual into a lightbox on my final rendering.... Many Vectorworks models ago, I use to export my 3D objects into Artlantis, and from a selected surface, add in my picture/visual....

Anyone can tell me how to do this on Vectorkworks 2010 with Renderworks?

If it is a 3d object

1. Create an image texture with the image:

A. Place a copy of the image file somewhere accessible, your desk top for instance.

B. Navigate in VW: Resource Browser>RESOURCES triangle pull down button>New Resource in (file name)>New Renderworks Texture>Shader/Color pulldown>Image Color and browse to the image via the dialog box. Name it and click OK

2. Apply the texture to surface intended for the image.

A. Select the surface.

B. In the OIP, click the Render tab at top.

C. In the Texture pull down, select your texture

D. Uncheck the Repeat Horiz and Vert options.

3. Render the layer with Renderworks and adjust the scale/rotation/start offset via OIP render tab. Open GL render works, too, but may need custom settings.

If it is a 2d object requiring an image fill, add the image to resource browser as above, only select Image as the new resource. Then apply it using the Image Attribute in the attributes palette. You can adjust its position with the Attribut Mapping tool in the Basic Tools palette.

This is just a start, read up on these things in VW help.

Good Luck!

-B

• 4 weeks later...

The Decal feature in RenderWorks is interesting, but not for adding a decal. It is back to the issue of control and how complex it is the position the decal accurately.

I find that it is still much easier to make an additional piece of geometry and place it "ontop". If RenderWorks Attribute tool was not so problematic then the decal would be great.

Hint. Work outside RenderWorks (Photoshop) to get the decal size correctly and with a solid background color or alpha channel. Either way you add it.

Peter