Wall cavity join

We have put off using the wall cavity tool because of joining issues. It seems each new version upgrades the tool but there are still conditions in which the wall cavities will not join.

The picture below is an example of a t-join in which the walls will join, but not the cavities. There is an error message stating that "the components of y-joined walls cannot be joined". Why not?

VW is 2010 SP4

Thanks,

Ariana

One of our bugbears too Ariana.

1. The error message doesn?t seem to make any sense. Of course you can join the components of T-joined walls (which is what the join is from the point of view of the user).

2. The practical reason is that as far as the wall tool is concerned, for the purposes of component joins, the wall ends at the centre of the wall, not the edge. I think this is why it calls a "Y-join." If you pull the T-joined wall back so the edge aligns with the centre of the other wall you will find you can make a component join.

3. The underlying technical reason for this I don?t know but I do know that NNA don?t pay nearly as much attention to their intelligent tools as I would like them to.

Edited by Christiaan

Thanks for your reply.

I tried pulling the intersecting wall back so the exterior and interior wall centers align (though that is not how we'd like to show the framing). I get the same message as before. There is a point several inches from the corner where the tool seems to break down. Before the corner, the join works well.

That error message is one of two. The first attempt gets me the error message "Object info Palette updating aborted due to user action". When I try again, I get the "y-join" error message.

If we cannot show the framing correctly, the tool is useless to us.

I tried pulling the intersecting wall back so the exterior and interior wall centers align ... I get the same message as before.

I'll show you what I mean tomorrow.

(though that is not how we'd like to show the framing)

Realise that, just a point of interest really.

If we cannot show the framing correctly, the tool is useless to us.

We use it, but our plans often look untidy because of it, as is the way with many of the 'intelligent' tools in VW.