3d Symbols Auto-Rotating

What a CF! I used the workaround suggested above - fix the symbol (again) then "convert to group." And, as warned, it made the file so enormous that I'm now getting "out of memory" warnings followed by a full on freeze.

In NNA's effort to push out new software every year, fixing bugs from the previous version isn't really that high on the priority list. Update = free = no new revenue. Upgrade = $$$ = revenue.

I'd be willing to pay more for an upgrade every 2 years if the software actually worked. I've been a VW user since version 8 and have never been so disappointed and frustrated with this platform as I am right now. NNA, I have a suggestion: FIX THE SOFTWARE YOU PUT OUT BEFORE YOU GO AND TRY TO SELL A NEW VERSION. You may make a few less dollars but you'll have users that actually trust and respect you. I don't care how great your advertising says the 3D environment is... If you can't maintain a simple axis rotation and won't actually admit there's a problem then you pretty much suck. I should move on to Sketchup. At least that's a platform that does what it claims.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue for years too; I thought it was my fault for duplicating/rotating/moving symbols using normal editing tools rather than the arcane "Rotate 3d" button in the object info palette.

Instructions on inserting symbols in help is as usual ambiguous and vague.

If someone can contribute a clear concise description of how to place and move symbols I'm sure many here would be grateful.

• 7 months later...

NO IT HAS NOT BEEN FIXED in VW2011! The entire 3D world is FUBAR'd; Layer & Screen Plane rotate at will & arbitrarily. This has gone from a seamless easy to use programme to an exercise in mental gymnastics.

I am actively looking for a replacement despite being a user for almost 20 years. VW 2011 should have been called VW Vista, or VW New Coke, or VW Edsel - pick your metaphor.

Late to this justifiable complaint party ... Traditionally I would edit from the Res Browser - When it was introduced I got into double click to edit - now with the above mess I have gone back to the Resource Browser to edit Symbols. (Most are Hybrid and many are created from other hybrid symbols, then placed, then rotated)

Much harder work flow but beats the mess described above. - Hope it is fixed soon Why not a preference -

Sent in files, movies etc - no real replies - Peter

(P.S. Once said VW 2010 is the worst version yet, wrong VW 2011 tops it)

Sad state of affairs! :cry:

Seems that we still have a serious "Legacy" incompatibility factor. For all the reasons a user upgrades to the new version of VW and doesn't abandon a sinking ship for a different package, is obviously the understandable expectation that VW will open files created with earlier version without a HITCH! It's almost like having to prepare a file for export to a format you know the other users App can read, except this is the same App! :crazy:

If i've got to redraw/recreate old files AND learn new complicated "curves" to reach the level i had attained prior to a new release, it might just be time, dare i say it, to try something that keeps it's users happy. :mad:

Something i really don't want to have to do! :cry:

• 6 months later...