Open BIM vs. Proprietary Standards / RFPs

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One of the things that Nemetschek supports is BuildingSMART and the concept of "OpenBIM", that is, interoperable BIM project delivery using the open IFC standard. (This is the standard formally supported by the GSA in the US.)

However, we encounter from time to time stories of building design clients (particularly public entities) who require BIM delivery in a proprietary closed format such as RVT (Revit). If you've been excluded from participating in a publicly-funded design/construction project because the client insisted on a proprietary BIM format, we want to help! But we can help only if we know about your experience.

If you've experienced business practice like this, please let me know. Email information to me at randerson@nemetschek.net .

Thanks!

Robert Anderson

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Christiaan:

Privately-funded clients have the right to ask for whatever they want But publicly funded clients (in some jurisdictions) -may- be exceeding their authority when asking for proprietary standards. I've been charged with trying to find out how big the problem is.