window accross two layers

Pat,

The "notch" movie is pretty cool. Actually....i didn't know it's possible to reshape walls that way. so thanks !!!

On version 2010 we can use the create wall recess option, and then it's easier to move the hole along the window.

Either way, we still have the issue of the window that needs to be drawn on both floors. It's possible to insert another window in viewport annotation, but it's a hassle. It's not a solution.

It seems like great VW "forgot" something....

... oh, have you tried Windoor from OzCad? I've not used their product but they seem to have a great product that solves many of the pet peeves with the window & door tools.

Jim,

OzCad does have great solutions.

However, i expect a software that suppose to be a leading product - to solve this elementary issue.

I see you are an old user. I am only since minicad 5... and layers were always the main drafting method. And i love it. But... NNA should solve this.

Pat,

The "notch" movie is pretty cool. Actually....i didn't know it's possible to reshape walls that way. so thanks !!!

On version 2010 we can use the create wall recess option, and then it's easier to move the hole along the window.

Either way, we still have the issue of the window that needs to be drawn on both floors. It's possible to insert another window in viewport annotation, but it's a hassle. It's not a solution.

It seems like great VW "forgot" something....

Keep in mind that the problem with the "notch" method is that it doesn't create vertical notches...even though screen clues say it is. It won't allow you to place one "wall peak" directly above another. Zoom in close, you'll see.

Forgot something indeed. 2010 seems to give you a better workaround but, alas, I agree. VW should make this work better.

Tami,

A big AMEN to your sentiment, but sad to say it is too true of many PIO's.

There is another, may I say elegant way to do this rather than messing around with the notch command.

1. Draw a wall on Main Floor Layer & insert a Window PIO where required in Plan & at the correct Elevation; it will project above the top of the wall.

2. Copy & Past in Place the Wall, Window & all on the 2nd Floor Layer.

3. On the 2nd Floor Plan, check the OiP & correct the Window PiO's position in Elevation so it only extends to the top of the window coming up from the Mani Floor Plan below.

4. Change the Window on the 2nd Floor PiO to a Cased Opening.

The result should be similar to a notched opening on the second floor. For the plan to look correct I would add a 2-D window on the Annotation Layer of the 2nd Floor Plan. This could also be done in reverse.

Tami,

A big AMEN to your sentiment, but sad to say it is too true of many PIO's.

There is another, may I say elegant way to do this rather than messing around with the notch command.

1. Draw a wall on Main Floor Layer & insert a Window PIO where required in Plan & at the correct Elevation; it will project above the top of the wall.

2. Copy & Past in Place the Wall, Window & all on the 2nd Floor Layer.

3. On the 2nd Floor Plan, check the OiP & correct the Window PiO's position in Elevation so it only extends to the top of the window coming up from the Mani Floor Plan below.

4. Change the Window on the 2nd Floor PiO to a Cased Opening.

The result should be similar to a notched opening on the second floor. For the plan to look correct I would add a 2-D window on the Annotation Layer of the 2nd Floor Plan. This could also be done in reverse.

Jim,

Thanks. This is one of the options we tried. The problem is that on elevation or 3D you see the connection point of the opening..... it does not look good.

What if you inserted the same window in both walls, adjusting it's elevation appropriately in each?

Other than duplicate records, what would be the problem with this?

It does not render well when you have double elements. It's possible to create another class and name it "invisible"... or "duplicates" and send one window to that class. But then again, you need to remember un-hide this class in viewports.

This is slightly different workaround - see attached file below. :)

Starling,

This looks great!!! Can you work me through what you did?

1st floor - wall + window PIO

2nd floor - wall + hybrid 2D/3D symbol

- 2D part is derived from window PIO

- 3D part is 3D locus

+ hole which is formed by 3D wall hole component (extruded rectangle) - you can edit the hole object by rightclicking on 3D locus in iso view (extrusion is simply editable from OIP)

But you know, you have to always check at least 2 objects instead of one ..

;)

Edited by starling75