Using Apple's Magic Trackpad with Vectorworks

I bought an Apple Magic Trackpad last night. I'm retuning it this morning. VW is not setup to use this device, and it shows. Using it to draw in VW is very difficult. Note that I use the VW preference click drag drawing, and I use a Wacom Intuos tablet with a programable 5 button mouse. I do love the Trackpad's two finger scroll when browsing in Safari, and that's how I use my MacBook Pro's trackpad. The problem I have with the Trackpad is that your hand is never at rest. Your hand has to hover over the Trackpad until you are ready to do something. You can't rest your hand on the Trackpad without evoking some unintentional action.

The more I use it, the more I find I like it. VW 2009, does not take full advantage of the tool, but what it does use I'm finding useful, two clicks to lock a viewport to one's finger for example.

Here is how it is evolving for the three in our office:

- VW is now loaded on MacBooks with a large additional monitor, a mouse & extended keyboard.

- The MacBook sits to the right, monitor to the left, keyboard in front of the monitor, mouse between the keyboard & the MacBook.

The mouse is still needed when drawing some things but what we are finding is one tends to use both hands much more & not just for typing. My feeling at first was this ain't that great, but I think as we get more practiced, we shall also become more efficient as a result of this device. Frankly it is changing the way we draw.

If we find we need a bigger machine for rendering (we have talked about this) then I will insist we get trackpads.

Hi,

I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen Tablett in a 2 Screen setup. And I must say, that I don't want to miss the Pen for drawing in VW.

This works perfect for me.

It is very fast and precise.

For most of the other Applications, I use the multitouch posibilities of the Tablett, which can be switched of, if I want o use the Pen only.

To draw on my MacBook Pro with the built in Trackpad works, but find it tiring for the Hand muscles. (I would expect the same from the new Trackpad)

If I have to use the Macbook for a longer session with VW I still use a USB Trackball....missing my Tablett and the Pen which is in the Office.. :-)

Edited by Horst M.

Drafting for me with my Magic Mouse dramatically improved upon installing the MagicPrefs Utility. I think with the new trackpad there is great potential for improvements in the future for this device should similar software become available.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using the Bamboo as well. My biggest problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyway to turn of the "momentum" when 2-finger zooming/scrolling. While this is a great feature on the iPhone its a bit aggravating when trying to zoom in just that little bit.

It would be great if VW could incorporate the "pinch to zoom" feature. This would also free up two finger swiping for panning, where momentum wouldn't be such an issue. This would also help with consistency across apps. Can't tell you the number of times I've tried to 2-finger zoom in Excel...

Three finger saved view switching, or layer changing would be nice. As would two-finger Rotate plan...

-Nik