Sign in to follow this  
Smallman

Cut a hole in a 3D object

Sorry in advance for what I hope is a simple question, but I can't seem to find an easy answer by searching.

I am doing a quick drawing of our theatre in 3D and want to cut out openings for hallways (no doors or anything). I am basically just trying to cut a simple hole in the face of an extruded shape.

I though I was taught something like making another extruded object going through the extruded object you want to cut the hole in....but that is really I remember.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes you can create the 3D object to cut a hole then use Subtract Solids in the Modify menu.

If your cutting a hole through an extruded face it's sometimes easier to just change the original poly rather than the additional subtract solids steps.

Good point, it is much better to start with the hole, or if you have extruded from the correct side, edit the original poly.

please don't forget that you can use the Protrusion/Cutout tool to cut holes in the 3D objects. I've been using the Protrusion/Cutout a lot lately, and I like this tool. Combine this tool with working planes and it all becomes much easier.