3D Dimensioning

Bruce Kieffer

Question

14 answers to this question

Ohhh, darn, I forgot to post my annual whine demanding 3d dimensioning in the new VW version. So thanks to you, Bruce, and others who did post the wish.

You probably already know the funky workarounds, and a VectorDepot script, too. Post back if you need some steps - It's basically making 2d dimensions in each 3d view, converting them to 3d text and lines.

-B

There is always hope that someone out there is listening!!!!

Oh.....and can the 3D fillet/chamfer be INCLUDED in the history tree for solid addition/subtraction objects please....pretty please!!

That's a must have or a deal breaker. I'm so tired of all the work required to modify a filleted object.

It's not just the dimensioning of 3D objection is isometric or other non-orthographic projects. There are a number of existing tools that will not work even when used on 3D objects in standard orthographic projections. For example:

Hole centre tool to work on 3D hole representations

The hole centre mark tool will not work on the planar representation of holes from a 3D model. This means that a 2D circle needs to be overlaid on the 3D image to enable the tool to be used. I believe it would be preferable for the tool to be able to recognise the cylinder.

Radial Dimension Tool

The Radial Dimension Tool does not work on the orthogonal view of a 3D radial profile. The only way to use this tool is to superimpose a 2D arc over the 3D outline. It would be more appropriate to be able to select the 3D profile and add the radial dimension.