resize/rescale imported jpg for base map

I have a JPG image that shows exact property/building dims. I've imported the image and have drawn a line, starting at one corner of the building, in the exact dimension of that side in real life. Now, I want to resize/scale the background image to match that line, so that all of my base map will be correct.

I'm more familiar with AutoCAD at this point, but have switched to VW2008, and not planning to ever look back. But I know that this command is easily performed in AC, I just don't know how to do it in VW. I've tried the 'resize from fixed point' tool, but it keeps giving me a 'Drag may not start at the same vertical location as the fixed point' error message.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Any one...? Any one...? Bueller...?

Use the Scale Objects command in the VW Modify menu.

Trace a line over one of the dimension call outs (example 10') and note its length in the OIP (example .25'). This would indicate that the jpg needs to be enlarged so that a new line drawn over the 10' callout would measure 10' in the OIP.

Your drawn line and the called dimension need to have same units.

Select the jpg

Modify menu>Scale Objects>Symetric

In the XYZ Factor box enter the ratio for rescale 10/.25

VW fields do the math for you:

Uncheck the Scale Entire Drawing option (if necessary).

Click OK

A Scale by Distance option in the Scale command was introduced in VW2009, I think, but it might be in 2008, too. Read all about it in VW Help.

Post again if needed

-B

Thanks guys, great help. That's an interesting way of getting the object to be scaled, especially in VW. I would've thought the method would be more visual than textual or input based.

Ray, that's the only way I could figure out how to do it originally, but that way seems like the longer, less precise way. If I'm understanding your way as the same way I tried, the scaling is sort of 'blind', and requires you to continually move the object back over the drawn line to check if it lines up. It will work fine, though, in certain occasions, and may work best for you in what you're doing. However, precision is paramount when matching the imported images for me.

Edit: Sorry Ray, I went back and re-read your advice, and it seems I misunderstood at first. But when importing the image, I have no idea what factors I'm looking for, so that still doesn't seem to be the best way for me.

Also, what's up with the 'fixed point' command? How does that work? I keep getting that same error, but that sounds like the tool I'm wanting to use...

Thanks all of you for the advice. I'm loving VW more each day, but I'm sure I'll be back with many more Q's along the way!!

Edited by Steelbreeze