Sign in to follow this  
Alora

Import 8.5 files to 2010 ?

I have recently upgraded from 8.5 on a G3 to 2010 on a MacPro and need to import my old files to my new computer. I've tried to export them as DXF and PICT files but neither open. Any suggestions?

Ten years worth although I'm not trying to import them all at one time.

I tried importing a single plan and that didn't work.

That's a lot of files. Vectorworks 2010 will not open VW 8 files. You would need to back to VW 11, then open them in VW 2010. If you have just a few I'd be happy to do it for you.

Ray,

Thanks for your offer. I won't be transferring all of my files - just the ones which are still active or the ones I want for reference. I was told by my dealer that I could import 8.5 directly to 2010 so I will contact them now, although I find I generally get a quicker response at this site!

Alora

Be sure to purge and update a couple of times at least!

There are some classes, etc. (like NonPlot) which require purge, tools,utilities,update plug-ins, as well as reset plug-ins.....and do that a few times, then purge again.

This is how I've fixed some corrupted files which came from previous versions.

I can hardly wait.....................although I am still waiting to hear from distributor.

I too recently upgraded from 8.5 to 2010 Mac VW and needed to update some active jobs. This is how I did it:

1. Saved files for update on thumb drive and plugged into new computer.

2. Opened drive and selected file to be updated - right click and selected VW2010 from pop-up "Open With" menu.

3. VW2010 launched the 8.5 file, then saved it as 2010 file.

Note: Just clicking on the 8.5 file will not launch 2010 for some reason.

You may also try opening VW2010, selecting "new" in the file menu, navigating to the desired 8.5 file, then "open" to launch the file. Either way it is a tedious chore if there are many files to upgrade.

Good Luck.

As an aside I have also found that saving a VW2010 file onto a thumb drive in dwg 14 format will allow the file to be opened in VW8.5; I needed to do this to plot some files on an old plotter not compatible with OS10.6.

Wouldn't it be easier to print or export to PDF and then print that from the older system?

It would certainly be more likely to maintain the graphic look of the VW file.

Pat,

Yes it would but when I have done this in the past I needed to be able to work on the file. My VWA 8.5 was highly customized over the years and some things were easier done with it, plus the plotter and OS 9.2.2. I don't plan on having to do this again as new plotter is on the way and everything else has been upgraded.

Fred,

I found out from my distributor that I needed to save the VW8.5 file as an MCD. Then I was able to use my memory key , which I am assuming is the same as a thumb drive, to transfer to my new MacPro. I followed your steps and it worked like a charm! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was slow to update VW 8.5.

Alora