Rotating Hybrid Objects

LJ TMS

Question

Rotating hybrid objects on any axis besides Top/Plan in VW Spotlight is a really convoluted process. I'd like VW to handle this situation differently and I have a couple ideas.

Here is what I'd like to accomplish. I'd like to be able to insert a truss using the truss tool, place fixtures on it, switch to another view, and rotate everything. Currently VW does not allow you to do this; it gives the warning "This operation only works on hybrid objects in plan projection". The workaround to this is to ungroup and regroup the truss while in a 3D view (losing the ability to further edit this as a truss object), and delete the 2D components of any symbols being rotated before performing the operation.

First off, if I want to rotate a hybrid object from a front or side view, VW should allow me to do it. I'd like a warning similar to when you attempt to ungroup a high-level object. Warn me that the 2D component will no longer accurately represent the 3D component, but still allow me to proceed if I wish.

To fix the issue of the 2D component not correctly representing the 3D component of the symbol, I'd like it to also give me the option to redraw the 2D component. What VW could do if I select this option is to create a duplicate of each symbol, perform a hidden line rendering of the rotated 3D object, and replace the 2D component with the newly created one.

So in my example of selecting a truss with multiple fixtures and rotating, I think the following process would work well...

1. A warning dialog displays that if you perform this operation, 2D & 3D symbol components will not match. Allow the user to continue or cancel.

2. If the user continues, show a list of all symbols about to be rotated and check boxes next to each if the 2D should be regenerated based on the new 3D rotated model. The user should be able to perform this operation of redrawing on all, some, or none of the symbols.

3. Any symbol the user does not select should be rotated with the rest of the objects and the symbol should not be modified.

4. Any symbol the user selects to be redrawn should create a duplicate symbol, perform a hidden line rendering of the 3D component with the new rotation and use this as it's 2D component for the new hybrid object.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or criticisms you have to this problem or solution. Thanks for your time.

Edited by ljmunz

3 answers to this question

I totally agree that VW needs the ability to rotate hybrid symbols around the x and y axes.

I'd also like to see the ability to insert hybrid symbols on working planes that are not parallel to the ground plane.

You can rotate spotlight truss objects and lighting instruments w/o ungrouping. But not in the easy, simple, and much more useful way you are trying to do it. You have to enter the truss hanging angle in the OIP and enter the 3D orientation in the OIP for instruments.

The current way is too slow and fussy.

I'd also like to be able to use the rotate tool like suggest.

Hi Guys,

Whilst i too had a serious beef about this aspect of VW for years and kept on moaning about it despite the obvious benefits to what both you and i are requesting, the clue is in the title.

Hybrid!

As you point out, because hybrid symbols are composite 2D/3D objects, if you were able to rotate them in any other plane than Plan/"Z" the 2D image would no longer reflect the the 3D object beneath the 2D object.

Now, if NNA would get there skates on and catch up with the likes of SolidWorks that automatically modifies the 2D object in real time so that the new aspect of the rotated 3D plan of the model is shown imediately, you'd get your wish. :)

Until such time that these events come to pass, you'll just have to be patient, choose "Edit" and "Cut" the 2D element in order to rotate the 3D in the "X", "Y" Planes, "Paste" it back, then modify it to fit. When it works . . . . . . .

Bbbthearrrrre!

i get the feeling you may have to "Ungroup" the PIO first to edit it, then create your own symbol from the resulting Hybrid, give it a new name and a few other associated actions, but hey, you get to rotate it as you wish, eventually.

Good Luck. :)

Edited by AndiACD