Improving 3D pipe bends

I usually draw pipe with extruded circles and sweeps for corners but I thought I would try something different.

Simply, I used the 3D polygon tool to draw a right angle and the 2D fillet, set for 140R, to fillet the corner.

I tried both a 2D circle and Nurbs Circle and Extrude Along Path. I used a 21.2 radius.

The 2D circle makes the fillet corner into 3 segments and is not a smooth radius.

The Nurbs Circle does something weird at the corners.

Can anyone suggest another option to create a bent pipe using Extrude Along Path or do I have to use the manual method to get the best look?

A step forward Guy,

I have found that my OpenGL settings were set to low. Now my result is almost like yours although I am still getting the outside edge looking like it's several chords using a circle and Nurbs Circle unlike your smooth result.

It can't be the fact that I am using Fundamentals version can it?

Edited by WhoCanDo
  • 1 month later...

I have a similar issue with creating 3-d routed pipes (or wires). I tried to set a network of 3d loci, first spotted on the working plane, then (laboriously) moving the selected ones in 3-d to desired elevations. Then, ideally, a series of lines and nurbs arcs should be able to snap to the loci now in 3-space.

This does not work. The nurbs arcs remain on the plane and do not snap to the loci (I was using both center and endpoints, and 3 points, to create).

I tried this using Nurbs curve tool, it sort of works, but not with nice specified radii.

Is there a way to draw a nurbs *line* between 3-d loci in space?