Exporting from Vectorworks 2010 to cinema 4D

Hi all

i already have the plugin exchange to C4d well installed. I can export files from VW2010 architect to C4D R11, however i cant export more than one layer (1st floor, 2nd floor, etc). If I export the layers separately and then merge them in the C4D project folder, the Z position is not correct. How do I correct that? or can I export all the layers in one file and open it correctly in C4D?(I dont think so...)

thanks!

Hi Bernas,

The messed up Z-Values is a behaviour that I know from the C4d Export Plugin for VW2009 if it is used with VW 2010.

The Version# of the Plugin for VW 2010 is 15.nn.

As far as I know Maxon doesn't sell it seperatly anymore

The updated Plugin for 2010 is also not on the Website.

It is Part of the Architect Edition, and located in an Exchange Folder inside the Programm Folder.

I haven't had a Problem yet with the export of different Layers at the same time.

What ever is visible will be exported.

You could try to "Align Layer Views" before you export.

But that is just an idea, thinking, that your Problem might have to do with the new Unified View...

Edited by Horst M.

bernas, I am having something of the same problem you describe but I have only used it twice so far and found things fairly well messed up in Z (Y in C4D). I did not have time to explore it completely yet but there seems to be either missing function or a bit of unclear information with the plugin.

Do I understand that Maxon actually has a good plugin available - for a price - with the Architecture edition, but is allowing downloads of an inferior one for those who will not pay the price of the Architecture edition? Is this correct?

The first time I tried it, in order to get all exported on the one layer that would be read by the plugin, I had to move all to a new layer I called "Export" . Same thing for the .3ds export. It does seem that the mothership might want to make this a little better process all the way around, for their own software at least.

Maybe I just need to spend some more time with it to find out for sure. I'd appreciate any tips on this too.

Edited by Lloyd NB

Hi Lloyd

I already tried the same, copying and pasting all the layers to one single "exprt layer" but I had the same problem....

I dont understand, i export to Artlantis 3 and it works 100%, but my #1 choice in rendering software is C4D for some years now... but then i worked with Autocad and exported as 3ds. I hope I dont have to go back to Acad because I only work with C4D....

Regs

Hi bernas again...you have just been reading my mind. I feel exactly the same. I've used C4D since r6 and I much prefer it. I'd been finding clever ways to launder files through Rhino even and others from Autodesk Architecture '07+. I took a leap with Vectorworks and was encouraged to do so by a person at Maxon in fact. I thought this would solve a lot of problems and I even turned away from an excellent upgrade price on Revit from my ACAD LT. license. If this is all there is to work with, then it turns out that the best and most direct way now to get things (architectural drawings-models)into Cinema 4D is direct from ACAD as .dwg! What an irony.

Good luck with this. If I find anything different I'll post here or drop you a message.

I think I'll call Maxon Tech Suppport first and then maybe try to find an answer over at Creative Cow, C4D Cafe, CG Talk and another.

In any case, there is a new handy little plugin for Cinema called "SpeedMud" which can be used for very elementary building shapes. It is a start, though no threat to VW or Revit for sure. I think it is only for r.11.5 though.

L

Edited by Lloyd NB

Hallo,

There is an Export Plugin from VW2010 to Cinema only for C4d 11.5.

C4d 11 goes with VW2009.

Maxon changed the policy for the plugin with the upgrade to C4d 11.5 and VW 2010.

This change was very "silent".

I was waiting for the update, and once in a while checking in the downloads area of Maxon. But the update didn't show, so I asked the Support. They informed me, about the change, and that I already have the Plugin as a Part of my 11.5 Architechture Edition......

But.

If you have tha same Z level Problems with 3ds export, there must be somthing wrong with the File, because 3ds export is Part of VW2010, the export plugin for C4d is a 3rd Party tool.

If they produce the same result that's strange

If you post a FIle I'd like to examine that.

Edited by Horst M.

Hi again Lloyd

i changed to VW 3months ago, and im far from being an expert...im still in that phase where u want to change to a BIM software, but still dont work well with it...i take 10x more time doing a thing in VW than I would in Acad..I tried Archicad before VW and it is great..but with complex 3d shapes i founf the VW better...however i downloades a demo version of Revit 2011, and with this problems I've been having with VW exports (wich no1 gives me a solution) Im almost starting to read the Revit Manual...im almost sure it is much more competent, compatible and complete, the only problem is the price. If I dont have a solution for C4D export in 1-2 weeks i must change to Revit...I cant be like this (no being able to render my 3d models...)

Rgs

From what I've seen I can tell, that Allplan it is fully parametric, and has strong workgroup featueres.

I don't have any Idea about the Freeform Modelling Capabilties.

And it's WIndows only...

There is a 30 day trial available.

I'm happy with The current link from VW to C4d.

For a recent Project that helped me a lot.

But well, there are week Points in the Export Process.

Edited by Horst M.

Hi again bernas,

A few thoughts.....I think it is a hard decision for some people to get and stay with Vectorworks for architecture - Windows users for example. For other architectural users it seems a simple enough decision for a number of reasons. . NNA could make it so much easier. They could do this for beginners by making thge learning process more accessible. Of course, this means sorting out the interface and workflow a bit too. I don't mean more pay per lesson tutorials either. NNA needs to extend itself a bit in order to gain and keep the interest of folks much like you and I who have some real questions about the present useability of the software and the future of the investment. I stand here scratching my head wondering what I'm doing wrong with a simple command while the deadline approaches! I'm going to continue working with mine. This is for 4 reasons ; I own it already, it is very powerful, it is not Autodesk, It does adequate 3D for my purposes. As you know, no BIM software is perfect. I prefer some aspects of Revit beause it is stable and the user interface is actually predictable, learning is very, very accessible, it is laid out well. There are many reasons to dislike Revit, but suffering over problems with any software, including Vectorworks, is optional and fruitless for me. Ultimately, the one that works is the one that makes my career easier or even maybe possible in some circumstances. I was able to finally locate a small user base of VW where I live and they are genuinely helpful. They also completely agree with me, that for a beginner, that it is daunting and maybe discouraging to try to figure out Vectorworks, Efficiently and in a Timely Manner, from the available materials. There is the clear sense of being 'milked" for cash to learn it. Where does it stop? How much does it really cost to use Vectorworks? It may or may not be much cheaper than Revit in the end. When we buy Vectorworks, we expect to be able to learn and use it efficiently in order to make a living from the investment. Was the investment worth it? We hold our breath.....

I've done a little checking out Vectorworks users here in the city where I live. There are maybe 75 architects, designers, drafters and design/build contractors doing business here. I was a little surprised to find out that the most well respected architectural design firm here uses Vectorworks. They have 3 offices - 2 in the US and one overseas, all on VW. The second and third most respected design firms here also use VW! By 'design firms', I mean those architectural companies with emphasis on design, not on being a plans factory with workers whom they harvest like brocolli. The architecture factories use Revit without fail, but not all who use Revit are factories certainly.

I wish you good luck and speedy answers.

L

Edited by Lloyd NB

Hi Lloyd

thanks for your message. I feel the same way u do. I have deadlines now, and Im affraid that if i go to revit I cant finish the projects on time... im keeping in VW but I must tell u that the excitement I had when it was presented to me isnt there anymore...when I start VW to work I already have a lot of doughts even before the 1st click... the 3d export is still the main problem... and the presentation in 2D...ex: when I have a building made in 3D it doesnt look good in 2D (even in Top/plan)...i always have to draw nem hatches, solids and lines in 2D in plans, sections and elevations so it looks +/- presentable for the client....

well... im loosing hope in this software...