'Illegal object(s) selected'

I am a new user to Vectorworks and seem to recall this may have been the reason I did not pursue using the software when I first wanted to use it. I thought that the tutorials would be a good place to start but can not get past the first few steps. I am trying to fillet a rectangular block. On trying to select a vertical line, in right isometric view, the message 'illegal object(s) selected' appears. What am I missing?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Edited by PhilBro

Can you give us the exact steps to recreate the problem? I can't get the "illegal object" error message with any combination of extruded polygon, Layer Plane Rectangle and either the 2D or 3D Fillet tools.

Or switch to the Full Reply screen and attach a sample file here so we can see the problem.

We will be happy to help you work through this as soon as we figure out what you are doing.

Thanks for the quick response. Here is my process:

Help>Vectorworks Help

(Vectorwork Help System loads)

Vectorworks Tutorials>Extracting Curves From Solids

(Begin tutorial).

I follow each step but on Blending Edges, using the fillet tool on a 3d object I hit a wall and the message appears.

Interesting. I don't have any video tutorials in my VW Help.

OK, now I see. You are using VW12.5. That explains a lot. VW12.5's handling of solids is not NEARLY as good as VW2010.

If you select the object instead of filleting it what kind of object does it say it is in the object info palette?

Even more interesting, the 2D Fillet tool does work on 3D object (at least on walls) in an isometric view. This is is both VW12.5 and 2010.

Go to an isometric view of a wall L-join. Select the 2D Fillet tool. Click and drag from the joined corner to the other end of one of the walls. You should end up with two walls and a round wall the size you set the fillet to.

I never knew you could do that!

Ray,

Thank you. It pays to read over what you're being asked to do. I was only selecting from the basic tool sets and didn't realise that the 3d modeling was closed underneath. Found the Fillet Edge tool and can now crack on with tutorials. Thanks again.