course syllabus

tamarindi

Question

For the first time here in Israel we are about to open a professional training course for architecture students.

Up to now i used to teach individuals or small groups.

Is there a syllabus or guidelines for this kind of course?

From your experience: how many hours/lessons require for students course? 1 semester is enough?

3 answers to this question

Tami,

Great that you have chosen to teach this course. I teach 2D and 3D Vectorworks drawing at the University of Melbourne here in Australia. The Vectorworks sessions that I attended with training staff back when I started my own studies had their own course structure which basically followed the VW Manual.

These days I write my own structure depending on the students and the results they want to achieve and I suggest you do the same.

Basic design at the moment fits into 6 x 2.5 hr classes and we normally cover 2D skills, introduction to 3D, viewports and presentation with enough time for an in class assignment and some play time in relation to rendering and other features.

If you were wanting to teach anything more than this such as Lighting plans, Architectural plans, advanced rendering or concept development you would almost defiantly think about more time.

Hope this all helps and good luck.

J

Edited by James Russell

Hi James,

That's sounds great. You gave me some perspective.

I told the university that i need one semester. That will be about 12 sessions of 3 academic hours. I believe i will be able to cover advanced modeling, render, in depth plans and more.

Tami

I find that if people are new to the program, then a fair amount of time should be allocated to learning the interface. I'm a big stickler about learning keyboard commands and understanding all the different ways one can do the same thing from a multitude of approaches. I usually dedicate a 1/4 of each lesson (we do 9 weeks of 4 hours at UCSD) to going over those concepts.