Lines w/ Letters

• 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Once you set it up, you can save it as a red symbol and include that in your template. If you double-click on the Rep. Unit. red symbol in the resource palette, VW places you in the Rep. Unit. tool but using the red symbol's default settings. IOW: Double-click on the red symbol, draw the poly and Bob's your uncle.

• 1 month later...

Hi fellas,

Thanks for this thread. I too was beating my head off of my desk trying to figure out where they hid the special line styles. Letters and symbols will be a very welcome addition. I was very used to Auto CAD line types before switching to VW. I could use lines for utilities, such as gas (-----G-----), But also for fences (----X----), and even one type had a small square to represent a fence post.

Until then, is there a way to adjust the scale of each type? So that a property line dash pattern can be longer or shorter depending on the scale? I know that it will be adjusted according to the scale of the sheet/layer, but I'd like to be able to scale it at will to whatever size I think looks right to me. Is this possible now?

Also, from the post above, I have no idea to get to the 'Red Symbol' or Replicate Unit command. Can someone clarify this process for a newbie?

Thanks in advance, you are all awesome. I'll tell Bob you said hi, and miss him dearly..

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Steelbreeze10,

You can click on "Advanced Properties" (vis the Obj Info palette) of any Sheet Layer Viewport and set the Dashed Line Scale (among other things). This will scale all dashed lines in that viewport only.

The "Repetitive Unit" Tool is located in the Detailing toolset of the Architect Workspace. You can make a "Red Symbol" by first creating an instance of a Repetitive Unit object setup how you want. If you need text in it, make a symbol with the text object, then choose that symbol for the Repetitive Unit object (through the Obj Info palette). Once you have it how you like, select it and create a symbol. In the Create Symbol dialog, choose the "Convert to Plug-in Object" option. This is what makes it a Red Symbol. Then you should be able to double-click on it to invoke the Repetitive Unit tool using the same settings as the one in the Red Symbol.

PS: Thanks for letting Bob know we still care.