dimensions not inserting

Hi:

I'm working in 2D and attempted to put a dimension in and after picking 2 points and then clicking where I want it to be----all goes away and no dimension.

Went to another drawing, repeated the same steps, dimension was put in.

Any suggestions as to what's happening in this one drawing?

Eb

Another "where is it".

When putting dimensions in, another drawing, after clicking on the 1st point,

a "bulls-eye" would appear for you 2nd point. That's not visible on this one.

I'm going to 2010 at the end of this week, as soon as the software appears; I hope things don't disappear like they do in this one, 2009.

Eb

The biggest (and coolest) difference in dimensions between 2009 and 2010 is that in 2010 you can double click the dimension object and edit the "anchor point" (I'm sure that's not what it is really called) and the actual value of the dimension right on the dimension object w/o going to the OIP.

michaelk

The properties you are interested in are part of the Dimension Standard. It is document specific and is set in File:Document Settgins:Document Preferences in the Dimensions tab.

Pick the standard that is closest to what you want and the click the Custom button. In the Custom Dimensions dialog box Click New... and then Edit...

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I just started learning VWA, and i'm following the nemetsheck tutorial. I have some questions corcerning the dimensions... i try to create constrained chain dimensions, but when I double click to finish the dimensions, they disappear! The green squares remains, but there's no dimension line, no values shown, nothing. My dimension class is visible, and when I insert a constrained linear dimension it works fine. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm trying to modify the dimensions to set the right position to some walls, but VW says that can't be done because of the constraints, but the walls I'm trying to move has no constraints applied (though they are conected in a straight angle to a wall that has, but this shouldn't be a trouble, since I'm not modifying the constrainted wall).

Any clues?

Thank you Cipes, but, as I said, the dimension class is visible, and the show/snap/modify others is active (I tried also with show/snap others, and it didn't work).

Yesterday I was working in my laptop, and today I tried again at my desktop and I managed to make the chain dimensions not to disappear (although I have no idea of what I did differently). Still, the trouble of being unable to modify the intern walls position by modifying the dimension value goes on. I don't know what I did or what to do, and I'm getting tired of trying to do exactly what the tutorial says and not getting the same result, without any idea of what or why it's not working...

I think all tutorials should have a "common mistakes" section. They just tell you what to do when things go all right, but none of them teaches you what to do when the step-by-step doesn't work.

Update: I picked other endpoint of the intern wall, further from the dimensiion, and finally was able to reposition it. But that's not what I was supposed to do. Why did it work in one situation and did not in the other?

Sorry if I'm bugging you guys, but I'm a SketchUp and Autocad user, and migrating to a BIM software is being very difficult to me.

Edited by Diogo de Lima
  • 4 years later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I too am having trouble getting dimensions to show up. I'm working with version 10 & don't find "dimension class"?

I never worked with VectorWorks 10 directly, it was before my time.

However, make sure to turn ALL classes on to make sure they weren't simply located in a disabled class with a different name. Also, place a dimension in a new blank file, I think the default class its placed into in a new document should be a dimensions default class, unless dimensions in version 10 didn't autoclass.