2D Polys to 3D Contours

I am trying to generate a site model using the 2D Polys to 3D Contours command. I have converted the contour polylines to polygons.

Basically I can't the command to work. The first couple times I tried it it seemed to randomly select one of the polygons (I would like to start with the lowest contour elevation). But now the Set Elevation box appears but no polygon is highlighted and after clicking Next and telling it to save polylines nothing further happens.

I have attached the file - thanks for your help in advance.

Donald

Don, the 2d polys to 3d contours command is programmed to start at the first object created and go through each object in order of creation. Starting at the lowest contour makes sense. In order to do this you can copy(or cut) and paste-in-place IN THE DESIRED ORDER. I often do this on to a new design layer. After all polygons are pasted in place and in their proper order, select them all and run the command again. It should work as expected. Post back if you encounter other issues... P

Guest Frank Brault

Hi Don,

I tested the command on your file and it works fine. Here is something to note:

It is a good idea to put the polygons into correct order before running the 2D polys to 3D contours command because the command uses the stacking order to decide which poly to select next. So, to do this, select the polygon with the highest elevation and set it to the top of the list by using the Modify->Send->Send to Front command. Then select the next highest and send to front again. When you get to the last polygon in order, it will be on top in the stacking order list and the 2D polys to 3D contours command will select the polys in the desired order.

hth,

The stacking order is crutial. You have to draw the contour lines methodically, or you have to correct the contour lines afterwards. Frank uses send to front, I use send to back, starting at the highest elevation contour...

This is covered in detail in my Architect Tutorial Manual from NNA, or my Vector-workout guide ti productivity, from http://www.archoncad.co.nz/training/vector-workout.php#productivity2010

Now when using the Modify Convert to Polygons command, I selected polyline contours in groups of 10 or so (because in this case there are so many). Was that part of my problem? Also, when I originally traced the contours off of a scanned pdf of the survey I started with the contours that were most pertinent to the area I needed most of all to model.

Thanks for all your great help and advice.

Donald