Snaps not Snapping Correctly

I have the same problem. It's very frustrating. Also, I occasionally see when zoomed back out that certain lines are not straight but appear jagged, but then zooming in, or checking the properties in the OIP it actually IS straight. I wonder if it's a video card issue. I have a 256MB card, which I thought would be enough for VW.....

VW2010 SP3 Architect/InteriorCAD

Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz, OSX 10.6.4

3GB Ram, 256MB GeForce Video

Edited by Ride

I am on 2009 but have similar issues.

I have noticed that my clues say I am on a handle but my curser is actually a bit away from the handle. I continue to drag and am still a bit away and get to my snap to point and it says I am on it but my curser is just a bit away. I let go and as with Bruce I am not snapped to the object.

When I am more careful or deliberate and hover a bit closer before grabbing it works. Could it be snap distance related?

For me it is an issue of where the curser actually is when I grab and where it actually is when I let go...regardless of the cues.

Edited by bc

I have the same issue when using one particular inexpensive and dodgy mouse in my office at home. When I click it sometimes thinks I also mean "move a little down and to the right". Just enough to break the snap.

...or it could be the pitted and scarred surface of the old table in my office.

...or it could be all the caffeine I drink at home...

Either way, it doesn't seem to happen with other mice or the track pad.

It might be worth trying another mouse to see if the problem goes away.

I've messed around with the settings. I cannot use VW without snap to grid for the work I do. Whatever's going wrong is still happening. I just updated to SP4. Don't know if that will fix the problem. I think the problem is that VW doesn't know how to align to the grid an object that is not exactly some increment of the grid setting, or a complex 3d object.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

I'm not sure what the solution is to this. I'll bet most folks just give up. I think it's best to never change the grid origin, be very careful what point of an object is selected prior to moving that object, and be very careful not to move an object prior to releasing once the snap to a point is made. And maybe not use the align to grid command when in any view other than top/plan.

Donald,

When I'm drawing, I need to draw in 1/8" or 1/16" increments. The easiest way for me to do that is using snap to grid. Also, I have my edit pref set to "Click drag drawing". Using the Floating Data Display bar is not so great with that setting. I may need to learn the other non Click drag drawing way. Old habits are hard to change!

Can you elaborate on the smart cue settings and how changing them would affect how a person draws? Maybe this is a good topic for a movie, or webinar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dbl click on any box in the snaps palette to reveal the snap prefs dialog. Experiment with those and post back if it does not help. I think the tick marks are bisectors between acquired smart points. You can turn that off and fiddle the acquisition time, too.

You might be snagging the grid when you don't want to, so try turning those off in the Grid snap pref.

See also the VW prefs Interactive tab for snap box and highlighting options. I turned off the Animation option.

Hope this helps.

-B

My problem remains. I definitely want to snap to the grid, but I have yet to figure out the grid. It does not make any sense. It's so sensitive. If I want to keep the object on the snap grid, I have to make sure to grab it on a point that's on the grid. Sometimes that's hard to do with very complex objects. My battle with the grid continues. Unfortunately, I rarely win!

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • 5 years later...

This thread is listed as happening in 2010, but obviously it is more recent than that since it is discussing VW2016. Please let me know if this is wrong. If I am speaking from five years in the future (2015) let me warn you that the snapping ability between VW2010 and VW2016 is night and day: as in VW2016 has horrible snapping. VW2016 will snap on the imaginary rectangle that encloses a shape, for example. That's right, the same annoying flaw as Adobe Illustrator. If something is on top of something in VW2016 it is almost impossible to select the lower object...even if it is "sticking out." Yes, just like Illustrator. I'm very disappointed because I used to complain to Adobe how they should look at VW as to how object selection should work. Well, I can't do that anymore. Trying to snap two objects together is equally flawed. I've never had to zoom in super close just to put a couple of corners together. It is slooooowwwwing me down. This has to be fixed. I appreciate Donald's list of solutions above, but these are all things a seasoned VW user will have already tried. I fear this is a software bug and I hope it gets fixed soon. VW has plenty of information to go on from this thread alone that something is not right.

Thanks,

MHBrown

VW2016 SP1

iMac El Capitan

This thread is listed as happening in 2010, but obviously it is more recent than that since it is discussing VW2016. Please let me know if this is wrong. If I am speaking from five years in the future (2015) let me warn you that the snapping ability between VW2010 and VW2016 is night and day: as in VW2016 has horrible snapping. VW2016 will snap on the imaginary rectangle that encloses a shape, for example. That's right, the same annoying flaw as Adobe Illustrator. If something is on top of something in VW2016 it is almost impossible to select the lower object...even if it is "sticking out." Yes, just like Illustrator. I'm very disappointed because I used to complain to Adobe how they should look at VW as to how object selection should work. Well, I can't do that anymore. Trying to snap two objects together is equally flawed. I've never had to zoom in super close just to put a couple of corners together. It is slooooowwwwing me down. This has to be fixed. I appreciate Donald's list of solutions above, but these are all things a seasoned VW user will have already tried. I fear this is a software bug and I hope it gets fixed soon. VW has plenty of information to go on from this thread alone that something is not right.

Thanks,

MHBrown

VW2016 SP1

iMac El Capitan

I do not have these issues, at least in 2D. Are you talking about 3D? I have no problems snapping shapes of all different kinds together. Is it possible you have some weird settings in your Selection Box or Snap Box sizes?

MHBrown said:
This thread is listed as happening in 2010, but obviously it is more recent than that since it is discussing VW2016. Please let me know if this is wrong.

@MHBrown: Your impression that this thread dating from 2010 is discussing Vw2016 is incorrect.

All Forum User's signatures reflect their current signature, even on old threads. You have to read in the body text to see which version is being discussed, as you cannot rely on only the signature.

[This is why it is good forum etiquette to mention the Vectorworks version in either the body text or in the subject line].

Edited by rDesign