Replicating

I am cereating a 3D model of a column for a landscape design. I have created an object and want to replicate the face on all four sides of the object. Is there any method of replicating a face wtihout going through the process of adding/subtracting volumes,changing textures etc in order to have all surface faces the same?

Thanks

Please post an example image, or try again to describe the column (extrude? column PIO object? Other?) and what is not replicating. Are the column faces flat or curved? Is there some varying sculptural feature or undulation on the faces? Or a texture not behaving as desired?

Anyway, I can't quite tell what is amiss.

-B

Benson, I hope that the file iis attached. When I look at the column in wireframe it appears to have the details. I have several components. The lower column section has a volume added detail. The upper component has volumes subtracted. When I look at the column in wireframe it appears correct. However, when I rednder in GL the volume subtracted is not evident on all faces, and several of the sides are depicted as just a flat surface.

I hope that this is apparent. My initail question regarding replicating was in response to the inability to depict the dame detail on each face. I was wondering if once a detail is created on a particular face, if it is possible to simply copy the detail and replicate on appropriate faces of an object without duplicating the process?

Thanks for your time and help!

The upper part of your column is doubled. One has all the subtractions, and the other only has a subtraction on one side. That's why you can see the subtractions in wireframe or dashed hidden line, but not in any other rendering modes.

Select the upper part and move it away from the column. It will immediately become clear which is which. Delete the uninvited guest.

hth

michaelk

Edited by michaelk

I found that extra shell and also an extra object in one level of the Solid Subtraction history. Maybe more steps than needed to model it, but its a nice column.

Lots of ways to model a section of the column with the recess or projection on each face. Here are a couple:

1. Extrude the basic footprint then model, place and subtract the recesses. The Solid Subtraction can remove all 4 recesses in one command

2. Model one face with recess/protrusion, lean it if necessary for taper. Duplicate it 4 times around a top view center. Fill in the corner facets, top & bottom with 3d polys. Solid addition of these elements encloses the volume.

Two layers in attached file, one for each of above. Start in top view wire frame to see text. Then render Open GL and flyover. Dbl click into the objects to see history.

-B