Interference pattern in roof texture

D Wood

Where do you suggest I change the resolution?

Under File>Document Settings>Document Preferences>Resolution I have upped both outputs to 720 (from 72), but FQRW still shows the pattern distortion.

Then with the sketch in FQRW, and File>Export>Export Image File there is the facility to change the Resolution as well, but no value I type in there makes any difference to the file size or removes the pattern distortion.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I missed something?

Hallo David,

Since I use VW I couldn't figure out, which Resolution the resoultion setting in the Document Preferences effects. ???

The resolution for Sheet Layers and Design Layers are set through the Nav. Palette as michaelk writes.

If you use Export Image File, you can set the resolution for the exported image in the Infopalette as shown in the attachment.

Sometimes when the Infopalette opens, the Reolution Field is greyed out and can't be changed, then you must switch arround a few times between the 5 modes in the Export Area (no idea why, but check with Preview what will be rendered),

then you should be able to type in the resolution you want. You will see the change in the Pixel Dimensions field below the Resolution field.

After that you can save the image.

Horst M.

Edited by Horst M.

I think when you Export an image down the bottom of the GUI we have

Format

File Type

and the default on my puter is JPEG 2000 Image - hit the little arrow to the right and dependent upon what image type export you wish to export some will allow you to change the Dpi and others no go

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know about setting the resolution of sheet layers.

I have now tried resolutions all the way up to 1440, but apart from huge increases in rendering times none of them eliminated the distortion.

I should explain that I can get the sheet layer to show correctly on my screen by simply enlarging it, but when I export as an image file (as JPEG Image), the distortion is back, presumably because the image is smaller.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ray's right, the monitor resolution is effectively reducing the displayed resolution causing the moire pattern. I found the Preview application to be the best at viewing image files and PDF files. It does a great job at anti-aliasing to display the image closer to what it would print like. I guess the REAL test is to print it with a high quality printer.

I do wish there were better display options in VW though. The same thing happens in exported Renderworks animations. I'd love to see improvements there as the moire patterns are very distracting.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes, the distortion disappears when I enlarge the image on my screen, the problem is though I am making 2 small images for display on a website - one is 200 pixels wide, the other 600.

So my solution in this case is to drop the texture and use a solid colour for the roof, but I will try your suggestions next time I have to print an image.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

David, In this case, I would try exporting the image from VW at at about double the desired size. Then I would reduce it to the needed size in PhotoShop. PhotoShop will anti-alias the image as it reduces the resolution hopefully avoiding the pattern.

Worth a try...