Converting NURBS to Wall/Windowwall

Walls are strictly vertical objects.

If you view your nurbs curve in top/plan view and Modify>Convert>Convert to Polygon then Ungroup. You then have a series of Polygons representing a projection of your nurbs curve to the ground plane.

Modify>Compose to join them up.

Modify>Convert>Objects from Polyline: Walls

Mike,

Thanks for all the information. I'm not new to 3d modeling, I used revit for a long time but switched to mac. There I tried archicad but that app doesn't cover my needs. I know how to model in 3d but I don't know the specific vw commands. For example: I don't know how to make the surface from mars' post into glass. 3D modeling is 3D modeling but all the little things are different in the different apps. I haven't been able to find a book that explains the entire program so I'll try to get some answers here.

thanks,

The processes Mars referred to are part of the 3D modelling capabilities and toolset:

- Create you quarter shell by doing a 90? Sweep (Model menu)

- Convert this to a Nurbs (Modify menu) and Ungroup it (Modify menu).

- Delete the three flat surfaces.

- Use the Create Contours tool (3D Modelling toolset) to obtain the rib paths in a Group.

- Ungroup these Groups(Modify menu) to get the individual paths.

- Draw your rib profile and use Extrude Along Path (Model menu) to create a rib.

- Repeat until you have all of your ribs.

- Use the Extract tool in Edge mode (3D Modelling toolset) to get the perimeter of the shell shape.

- Ungroup this and Compose (Modify menu) to turn it into a single Nurbs Curve.

- Draw your perimeter profile and use Extrude Along Path to get the perimeter frame.

To make the shell Nurbs Surface look like glass you need to apply a 'glass texture' to it. To do this you will need Renderworks.

This type of modelling does not exist in either Revit or Archicad and therefore if you try to apply their logic to how you model in Vectorworks you will get nowhere fast. I would suggest that rather than trying to 'fly by the seat of your pants' you read up on each of these processes in the Help documentation before you start and also look at some of the movies in the 3D Power Pack area.

The 3D Modelling in Vectorworks manual by Jonathan Pickup would also probably help you: http://www.nemetschek.net/training/guides.php

I wonder if this piece is actually going to be constructed. If so a couple of questions come to mind.

Will the glass actually be curved and if so will it be spherical.

Will the panels actually be differently sized.

Is there an opportunity to use the methods above to create a single or small number of repeating pieces:symbols which can be refined as the design progresses.

?

Martiijn-It appears you want to create a basic geodesic strut wall with glass panels.

It's actually fairly easy to do with Vw as long as you follow a few basic rules of spheric-trig.

1) Decide on the primary propagator: tetra,cube,penta,octa ( combination )

2) Then decide on the rotation : vertex, strut , or face

3) Chose the required frequency of subdivision

4) Chose the geodesic Type 1 or Type 2 , depending on the edge subdivision

Then :

Beginning creating each triangle as a symbol and rotating it into position.

You can find plenty of examples here:

http://www.fractalnet.org/gallery2/main.php