Sun Shade

Guest Wes Gardner

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's an image of a cool sun shade I saw at this year's AIA National Convention in Miami and of course I just felt the need to model it...

Oh, I forgot, theirs even had a PV panel embedded in the center - pretty cool

Edited by Wes Gardner

Very interesting ... professional presentation...

noting the incredibly massive support mechanism versus the very limited surface area of those four metal <> plastic connections ...

it would appear that windloading ( on that arced shade ) is sufficient to

deform and over stress those tiny attachment points.

...it would appear that windloading ( on that arced shade ) is sufficient to deform and over stress those tiny attachment points...

I was thinking the same thing.

Wes, Nice job with the rim light. Really makes the shade pop.

Wes, I'd love to see a video of you making and rendering that thing. I suspect that many people in me VW Users Group would like to see it too.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi islandmon, Yep, you caught me...the real shade is made from polycarb/composite of some sort so the two "channels" are "beefed up" allowing the supports to be integrated into the layup. I thought letting the channels be "clear" added to the rendering - the play of light/bending of the structure as you look through the panel looked cool.

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's an image of the settings for the HDRI used to create the lighting - these are "stock" VW HDRI's (in 2010). I just used the illumination one to keep file size down.

I "messed with" (technical term there) the brightness and angle to get the light how I wanted it...

The remaining objects are extrudes, extrude-along-paths, solid subtractions/additions

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Ozzie and Tobias et all,

Sure....except the file that created the facade study exceeds the capacity of this board but if you e-mail me at wgardner@vectorworks.net, I'll attach it and send it back (it's about 14 megs...)

Play with the texture for the sconce shades and the color/intensity of the embedded light...it's still not "there" yet

Edited by Wes Gardner