Extra class flexibility

Using layer links, there are some situations where in order to display on the same sheet (small project) a reflected ceiling plan and a floor plan or an enlarged plan and regular scale plan, it would be useful to have the capability of turning off a class on a layer while keeping it on on another.For example we may want to have the door class show on the floor plan yet be off or grayed out on the reflected ceiling plan, or turn off the furniture class on the floor plan and turn it on on the enlarged one. Again, on the same sheet, showing simultaneously two layers, one of which is the layer link. I know that maybe this goes against the classes? philosophy, to exist thru layers rather then residing on each of them.

Any thoughts about it? wink.gif" border="0

So, you've got Layer A and Layer B, both visible, and Layer B contains a layer link to Layer A. You want objects in Class C to be visible on Layer A, but not on Layer B. Is that right?

If the above is correct, I think the issue is more a matter of how layer links behave than of problems with our class visibility model. Think of a layer link as an image in a mirror. The mirror simply reflects what's in front of it ? the only way to hide the objects in the mirror's image is to hide them in the scene the mirror is reflecting. It's the same with a layer link: the layer link just shows you the "image" of the layers in its "scene."

Consider what would happen if each layer had a separate visibility flag for each class: you'd no longer be able to hide or show all the objects in a given class with one command. Instead, you'd have to go separately to each visible layer and make that class invisible or visible. I'm sure we'd have enough sense to see this problem in advance and we'd probably build on some sort of user interface that would let you hide/show that class on all layers at once just to save time, but tech support would still no doubt be deluged with calls along the lines of: "I put a chair on Layer X in Class Y, and I know both Layer X and Class Y are visible because I can see other objects in Layer X and also other objects in Class Y, but I can't find my chair!" The answer, of course, would be to go to Layer X and make sure that Class Y is visible IN THAT LAYER.

It's definitely an interesting idea, and no doubt powerful, but in my own personal opinion it sounds just too complex. With judicious use of layers and classes, I think you can probably avoid the problem in the first place. Why not take the objects that you want hidden in the layer link ? Class C, in the discussion above ? and put them on a separate layer from Layer A? Call it something like "Layer A - Furnishings." Then you can make that extra layer visible so that it shows up on your sheet, but don't include it in the layer link on Layer B, so that it won't show up in the layer link.

Yes, you are right about the complexity, basically we would increase flexibility exponentially, thinking about all the possible combinations.

While I like this idea, I know that new users have already hard time finding objects just because the layer is on but that class is off. This happens because everybody is used to the simple linear organization of other Cads.

Your idea of the extra layer is the solution. The only problems is for doors/windows that have to belong to the same layer of the walls.

Thanks.