Section VP vanishes

I just had 4 SL section viewports vanish. All the annotations are still there, but the section line instances are gone from the SLVP where they were created and the geometry is gone from the section viewports.

Is there any trick to get them back?

I do have an old version of the file that still has the section line instances. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is there any way to copy and paste the section line objects?

Thanks

michaelk

Those were my first ideas, too.

Nothing got moved on a design layer.

Tried turning all classes on.

None of the section viewports have a crop or limits on the depth or length of the section lines.

Even though the carcass of the section viewports have a drawing and sheet number in their drawing labels, they don't appear in the Nav Palette list of viewports.

The section lines corresponding to the missing section viewports are gone.

All the missing sections were created from one SLVP. All the sections in that SLVP are missing.

No other viewports, including section viewports, (135 so far) are affected.

The affected VPs are on a sheet layer that I did 3 days ago, and haven't really done much with since.

Is there a keyboard shortcut that nukes all the section lines in a SLVP?

michaelk

Michael, are you running Time Machine? If so this would be a perfect use. Another idea: if the Section Line instances still exist you could try to get to the sections from there. I did once have a situation where all of the SVP's were inadvertently moved due to accidental changes in the design layer Z values. One more suggestion: what happens if you go to the Sheet Layer where the sections are supposed to be and Select All? Does anything get selected? If so, try going to Edit Crop and remove all cropping objects.... If all else fails I assume you have a reasonable idea where the original section lines were drawn, so you could recreate the SVP's and Cut and Past the annotations in (as a group)... Hope that helps...

Peter

I am running time machine, but I also have a couple previous versions - 1 with the problem and one even older that is correct. The problem is how to pull it into the current document...

The section lines are gone. But the section viewports still have the correct numbers in the drawing label.

What I ended up doing is exactly what you suggest: changing the numbers of the corrupt section viewports to something much higher, then creating new section viewports, and copying and pasting the annotations from the old section viewports to the new section viewports.

Wish I knew what caused the section lines and the geometry in the section viewports to go away...

michaelk

I have had this problem as well. The way I got around it was to set the length, depth & width ranges in the Advanced Properties of Object Info Palette to infinite. For me, the section shows up again, but normally in a different place. Not sure why.

I wonder if it is to do with changing layer heights, or maybe duplicating a layer? That is all I can think that may be the case.

• 4 weeks later...

Further investigation of this problem, is that it appears there is a problem with the section line instance changing location and appearance in plan.

When I try to locate the section line instance, it appears like a little line with no section reference looking marker. Today the way around it was to un-select the 'use gapped line' tick box in the OIP. The section marker appears again, and I have to relocate and stretch it again in the correct location. Once the viewport is regenerated it shows up in a different place in the section viewport, but at least I don't have to recreate another VP.