Symbol Libraries

I have a question. I am in the process of creating a parts library and I would like to be able to create symbols that can be inserted into any drawing as needed. I have a main resource drawing that will house the various folders and symbols. My question is how do i create a symbol in which in can select which view i want to use on insertion? similar to when you create a screw or a nut you can select the view you would like to use (top, front, rear etc.) i would like to do this with our parts to so that if you are inserting a symbol you can have multiple copies but different views. does anybody know how to accomplish this? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm understanding you correctly:

Draw your object in 3d - placing a 3d locus at the insertion point

Copy

Create Symbol - Name it according to its view.

Paste

Modify>Rotate>Rotate 3d 90? about your selected axis using insertion point as center of rotation

as above & repeat

Draw & select 2d geometry to create a hybrid symbol for the Top/Plan View

The screw and nut are not symbols, but are Plug-in Objects. There is no easy way to use a single symbol to get a variety of different 2D views of an object.

If you really want to use symbols, the best way would be to create a naming system that would let you select the correct view.

Or even better, create a 3D symbol of a model of the object so that any view is correct.

It might be possible to create a Plug-in Object that would take multiple 2D symbols and return the proper one based on an input from the OIP, but the symbols would have to constructed very carefully so that the insertion points for the different views all corresponded.