pointer issue/text alignment issue

MMD

I was hoping with the 9.0.1 upgrade these problems would go away, but they haven't. Is anyone else having this trouble? (I am using a PC.)

After I click on an object, the pointer automatically snaps to the middle right quarter of the screen (about where my objects pallette is.) It does this randomly with symbols, groups or objects,- or not. Why doesn't it just stay where I left it? It is frustrating enough that I have continued to use 8.5. It does this whether or not the "click/drag drawing" option is checked. It does this on both my desktop with a Microsoft trackball and my laptop with a Logitech mouse.

Second,when I use the text tool and select existing text to edit over it, the text alignment reverts to left top align. I saw someone in the Theater section had the same problem, but there were no replies. This also happens on both computers.

Any suggestions?Michele mad.gif" border="0

It sounds like you have the Logitech mouse ware software installed, or something that works like it.

We generally see this behavior when the mouse driver has a feature to snap the cursor to the ok button of any dialog boxes that pop up. VectorWorks updates the object info pallet and other pallets in a very similar way which confuses this software.

The fix would be to disable this feature of the mouse driver, or add VectorWorks to an exclusion list for this feature.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

• 1 month later...

OK, it's much later, but it's still an issue. It really happens when I am editing existing text by selecting the whole thing and writing over it. (The text also suddenly appears much bigger than it really will be, making it hard to judge where I should make a return when I'm trying to fit text into a specific area.) I am using v.9 but seem to have the same problem in 9.1. It does not seem to do it every single time, but I can't figure out what the reason is.

Michele

i also experience this problem with editting text. something that in my mind has been an issue in all versions of VW.

certainly makes it difficult to have numerous individual lines of text the same length. example could be a title block.

alistair

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
9.5 and b7 both showed display issues with editing text. The top half may be shifted over, shifted up, blanked out, whatever.

And I've got a similiar complaint. The text tool often places a smart cursor cue (usually "datum") right over the piece of existing text when the text tool is used to highlight a piece of that text for editing. I can see no use for the in-this-case-not-so-smart cue. Together with the shape-shifting, things have gone downhill in the text department since 9.0.1.

Chad,

You can turn off the Floating Datum perference in the VW preferences.

If you leave your cursor still in the drwawing for long enough, a floating datum will show up when this feature is enabled.

To avoid this in the future, simply turn the floating datum prefdernce setting off by going to File>Preferences>VW Prefs